WSM Turkey Thighs help..

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

WSM Turkey Thighs help..

Postby alithehat » 22 Dec 2014, 15:15

Hi chaps,

Hope everyone is good and nearly ready for any big Christmas cooks...

Was hoping for some help...

Whilst I have had my fair share of pork, beef and ribs in the WSM, I am yet to brave the Christmas bird being chucked in there...until now.

I am traditionally roasting the turkey breasts/body in the oven to appease the extended family (and to act as a backup plan in case all goes wrong...), but I also plan on cooking the turkey thighs (and drumsticks, although I am less fussed about these) in the WSM.

My plan (if you can call it that) so far is to whack the WSM on with wide open vents until about 350 degrees with an empty foiled pan...and that's as far as I have got. I had thought I would just Google "WSM turkey thighs" and it would bring up an idiots guide...but no such luck - lots of info that all seems to be saying different things.

So my questions are - am I right to go high and hot with the WSM (350 degrees), should I be brining the thighs,and how long do we think it will take to get the thighs up to a done temp of 170 degrees? (I know that there are a hundred and one factors that could effect the cooking time, not least of which I have no idea what the weather in Leeds will be doing on Thursday, but just looking for a guesstimate really?)

Thanks in advance for any help, appreciate it!
alithehat
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: WSM Turkey Thighs help..

Postby fitasc » 22 Dec 2014, 17:03

I've just cooked the Xmas turkey, a little in advance, but it wouldn't fit in the freezer :)

All vents open on the WSM and the temp never got past 300f. The whole bird took about 3.5 hours I think. Didn't brine. but did inject with a mix of stock & butter the night before. Also used a little poultry rub over the whole bird.

Have dismembered the cooked bird and it's now in the freezer until Wednesday, ready to be re-heated on Thursday. We did pinch a few bits off the cooked bird, very succulent and well flavoured. Takes all the pressure from trying to get it all done on the day.
fitasc
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 22 Dec 2014, 19:46

Hi,
In terms of Turkey legs I suggest rubbing them with the inside of a bin bag, or gripping them by the foot end and hurling them as far as you can out of your back garden. They are the very reproductive organs of beezlebub himself and there is literally nothing you can do to make the vile tendon instruments of the devil palateable.

I wouldn't feed them to my dog, and he is mostly an Labrador.
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby alithehat » 22 Dec 2014, 21:01

Thanks for the info fitasc...seems I might have overestimated the temp I will be able to get the WSM up to. What were you using fuel wise? I am planning on using some heatbeads that I have stashed away-reckon I will allow 2 hours for the thighs and hope for the best. If they need pulling early I will just foil tent them. Have decided to inject the thighs with butter as you suggest...think I am also going to lift the skin and pop some fresh sage in there with some smeared butter. How are you planning on reheating? Wish I had thought of that...although quite like the idea of being able to retreat to the garden and escape the in laws...escape my own lot as well for that matter.

Tiny - I concur wholeheartedly as far as the actual drumstick is concerned...I am including them in the cook just so I can then pretend they are dinosaurs legs...thighs however are a gift from above. Dark meat good!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
alithehat
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby slatts » 22 Dec 2014, 21:02

Not keen then Tiny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
slatts
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby derekmiller » 23 Dec 2014, 09:46

alithehat wrote:...seems I might have overestimated the temp I will be able to get the WSM up to.

When cooking high temps on the WSM I use lumpwood, can maintain an easy 330F, this is how I cook my turkeys.

Heatbeads and briquettes I save for the low and slow.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby derekmiller » 23 Dec 2014, 10:04

Forgot to add, the last time I cooked legs I deboned them. Stuffed one with an apricot and pistachio stuffing and stuffed the other with a mushroom, leak & bacon stuffing. Anyone who has attended the Festive course at the Grill Academy will recognize those.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby alithehat » 23 Dec 2014, 11:30

Hi Derek,

Thanks mate - appreciate the help. Does deboning have an effect on cooking time? Is it quicker without the insulation of the bone?

alithehat
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby YetiDave » 23 Dec 2014, 11:46

The bone is a good conductor of heat, so it'll be a slower cook sans bone
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby alithehat » 23 Dec 2014, 12:02

Ah, gotcha...couldn't recall which way round it was!

alithehat
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice