Have I aciddently sepperated the point from the flat?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Postby dawg » 25 Oct 2014, 10:55

Hi folks, doing my first brisket monday night so I pre ordered a full one from my local butcher. I was just wondering if anyone could confirm if the loose piece I have cut off was the flat? It looked like it wasnt part of the brisket to me but its quite a big chunk, I dont want to throw it away as it cost £8 Kilo!, if its not the flat then is it worth slapping in the pressure cooker to make a stew?

Heres the beef before I cut it.

This is the top from the other side, as you can see there aint a lot of flat if this piece is a different cut.

This is the trimmed piece, I cut it off at the line as it was really thin.

and here is the bit that I cut off.

Any advice much appreciated

Oh while I was in there I saw a piece of chuck, going to be cooking it with the brisket monday night too, looks like it will be my cut of choice if it turns out nice, just dry brined them at this stage....
dawg
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Have I aciddently sepperated the point from the flat?

Postby TakingtheBrisket » 25 Oct 2014, 14:05

I might be wrong but i believe that bit is actually off the rib bone. From the first pic, where the knife is, is a thick seam of fat with the point under that. Turn it over you should be able to see it better
TakingtheBrisket
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 25 Oct 2014, 14:25

I agree. I recon you've still got the flat and the bit below the thick seam of fat that Takingthebrisket refers to is the point muscle.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby dawg » 25 Oct 2014, 15:29

Thanks for the replies guys, makes me feel a lot better, was thinking I had just wasted £37! Maybe I still have as I have yet to cook it, I should prob of let him trim it for me but he said he normally charges £10 a Kilo, don't know if it would of been cheaper or not.
dawg
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 25 Oct 2014, 15:31

He probably charges that trimmed because of the weight of meat he trims off
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby TakingtheBrisket » 25 Oct 2014, 15:32

I get it for £4.50 per kg from the local butchers so it does seem pretty dear, unless it's a really good breed.
TakingtheBrisket
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby dawg » 25 Oct 2014, 16:24

BraaiMeesterWannabe wrote:He probably charges that trimmed because of the weight of meat he trims off

Yeah he said it has saved him a bit of work.
dawg
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby dawg » 25 Oct 2014, 16:38

TakingtheBrisket wrote:I get it for £4.50 per kg from the local butchers so it does seem pretty dear, unless it's a really good breed.

Yeah I think he is a bit on the expensive side, he never made any mention of 'rare breed', I guess I am still on the look out for a good butcher AND good prices, I can recommend one 250 miles from me, take a look at this bone in Sirloin, I cut it into 2 steaks and we had the best steak of our lives and we have had some mighty good steaks.

and the price.....

Busiest butchers in the North East, its a wholesale warehouse, always fill my freezer when i visit family.
dawg
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 25 Oct 2014, 17:07

I have a wholesaler nearby (near Dorchester) where I can get brisket at £4 but usually just the flat. Fine if you're doing it to make chili out of.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby dawg » 25 Oct 2014, 17:36

BraaiMeesterWannabe wrote:I have a wholesaler nearby (near Dorchester) where I can get brisket at £4 but usually just the flat. Fine if you're doing it to make chili out of.

maybe i will start a new thread, try and find a butcher who maybe has lower overheads and therefore cheaper prices.
dawg
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice