Ribs - what am I doing wrong?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Ribs - what am I doing wrong?

Postby zzubnik » 09 Oct 2014, 19:29

Hi all,

I've been smoking ribs since I bought a WSM just before the summer. Can't get enough of them. Here's my problem:

I have been using the 2-2-1 method at 225°F. I've managed to pretty much get the hang of the fuel, so I don't go above 230 and below 210 (there have been a lot of failures on the way though!).

If I go 2-2 then I get lovely soft ribs soft, juicy and delicious. Almost falling off the bone, but obviously a bit soggy. The bark is soft and moist, where it should be, well, barkier.

If I got 2-2-1 then I get tough ribs, the meat has stopped being soft and moist, and has gone back to being tough.
In the last hour, I mop with sticky bbq sauce every half hour.

I've tried 2-2-0.5 and it's pretty much the same. If I put them back in after the second two hours, they are tough.

Can anyone tell me where I might be going wrong?

Thanks,
Nik
zzubnik
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Ribs - what am I doing wrong?

Postby ConorD » 09 Oct 2014, 21:23

I am guessing that you are talking spare ribs here and not baby backs? How meaty are they (a cm or more above the bone/)? What are you using to read the temp (anything other than the lid thermometer)?
ConorD
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby zzubnik » 09 Oct 2014, 21:43

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

Yes, they are "spare ribs" from Morrisons. About five inches tall, not full-sized ribs, which I am having trouble sourcing locally. When I ask for ribs, the local butchers just look at me blankly, then say "I think I've got something out back", then come back with something that really isn't what I want.

I've uploaded a picture of the end-result here: http://i.imgur.com/qGU2AWi.jpg

As you can see, quite short.

I'm using a Redi-check dual-probe wireless type thermometer, as I found immediately that the lid thermometer really doesn't have a clue about accurate temperature readings.

Could it be that 2-2-1 is just too much cooking for ribs this size? After 2-2, they are really nice, but a little mushy.

Thanks for any advice.
zzubnik
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 09 Oct 2014, 21:48

Have a read here and follow some of the links to understand the science behind it

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknogr ... _ever.html
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby ConorD » 09 Oct 2014, 22:11

That picture actually makes them look like baby backs in size (are the bones curved)?

I use a WSM as well and find 220-225 need a little more than 2hrs (have done them up to 3 before and still be pretty good). Have you tried just throwing them back on with a quick baste for 20mins after the foil section?
ConorD
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Scantily » 09 Oct 2014, 22:29

Personally I'd reduce the time in foil, that can really speed up a cook, try 2-1-1. I cook ribs at between 250-275 and it works pretty well for me.
Scantily
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 10 Oct 2014, 04:50

I would try reducing the foiled time as the ribs don't seem to be that thick.
keith157

Postby derekmiller » 10 Oct 2014, 06:36

With the others, I tend to use 2-1-0.5 nowadays.
Derek
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby zzubnik » 10 Oct 2014, 10:33

ConorD, the bones in the ones I've been getting are indeed curved. I guess if I knew what I was doing I could identify what cut this is.

Thanks for the tips guys. I've read all your replies, and I'm going to do another couple of racks this weekend with these changes and see if I get a better end result. Hopefully it won't mean standing in the rain, like last weekend!

Thanks again.
zzubnik
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby YetiDave » 10 Oct 2014, 11:12

Sounds like 2-1-1 should be what you're aiming for
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice