Kamado and Instant Light charcoal

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Kamado and Instant Light charcoal

Postby Wojtek » 08 Oct 2014, 18:01

Dear all,

I am a new member and have just acquired a used kamado joe. I have a few things to fix up, but my main concern is -

When delivered, the seller kindly threw in some utensils ... And a half used bag of big k instant light charcoal. It's the stuff that comes in small bags that you light without opening.

I haven't fired it up yet, but was worried about all the BIG notices not to use lighter fluid or instant light charcoal. Has anyone actually done this, how will I tell if it has spoiled and if so can I try and improve it by getting it to a high prolonged temp?

Any tips gratefully received!

Thanks
Wojtek
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Kamado and Instant Light charcoal

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 08 Oct 2014, 23:09

I wouldn't use it but I guess if cooking something foiled it would be ok.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Wojtek » 09 Oct 2014, 12:13

Cooked some aubergine and pizza on it last night using lump charcoal. Seemed ok - so hopefully no permanent taint? Will not use the instant light stuff but was worried if it would have permanently tainted the kamado joe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wojtek
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby gingerchris » 09 Oct 2014, 17:25

I think most people's concerns with instant light stuff is the chemical that's used to make it light easily. Being that this chemical is designed to burn I wouldn't have thought you'd have too much residual chemical flavour but you'll be able to tell from the taste of your food cooked on it. Also yeah I think if you crank the heat up it should burn anything off.
gingerchris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Wojtek » 09 Oct 2014, 18:00

Thanks! I've found paper towel soaked in cooking oil lights the charcoal just fine :)

Wojtek
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 11 Oct 2014, 20:52

Wojtek wrote:Will not use the instant light stuff but was worried if it would have permanently tainted the kamado joe

I wouldn't worry about permanently tainting your smoker...that wouldn't happen
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 12 Oct 2014, 08:26

BraaiMeesterWannabe wrote:
Wojtek wrote:Will not use the instant light stuff but was worried if it would have permanently tainted the kamado joe

It can and does happen, there was a BBQ Pitmasters series on j the U.S., One of the cooks, Leanne competes using BGE's, she borrowed a couple off eggs for a cook off competition and the judges complained of a lighter fluid taste, she hadn't used any, turns out the owner had been using them that way.

Avoid it like the plague, you just don't need it
JEC

Postby Wojtek » 12 Oct 2014, 09:46

Thanks guys - so far the food seems to taste great, which is a relief, and I am steering clear of anything artificial. Advice much appreciated.

Wojtek
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 12 Oct 2014, 12:49

JEC wrote:
BraaiMeesterWannabe wrote:

It can and does happen, there was a BBQ Pitmasters series on j the U.S., One of the cooks, Leanne competes using BGE's, she borrowed a couple off eggs for a cook off competition and the judges complained of a lighter fluid taste, she hadn't used any, turns out the owner had been using them that way.

Avoid it like the plague, you just don't need it

Wow, that's amazing. I've used instant light stuff on occasion in the past when nothing else available and can't say I've noticed a lasting effect. Perhaps regular use of them rather than 'once off' is what caused it. That said, I used to be a '20 a day man' so perhaps my taste buds are shot :o
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 14 Oct 2014, 06:45

I would suspect it builds up over time.
JEC

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice