Kamado and Instant Light charcoal

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Kamado and Instant Light charcoal

Postby Kathy's Smokin' » 20 Dec 2014, 21:21

I did some reading up on the instant light charcoal a while back that said if the bag is left open for long periods of time, say months, especially in a hot shed or somewhere hot in the summer months (conducive to evaporation), the lighter fluid the charcoal is soaked in will gas off until there's little left. It originated as a complaint against "Matchlight", the instant light brand available where I live in Ontario, Canada. There is hope to detoxify the stuff to some degree. The other thing I would imagine is those briquettes would have fillers I don't want either, if they're soaking briquettes in lighter fluid they are likely doing other questionable things (using too cheap/tainting processes and materials).

Some people swear they don't taste lighter fluid in food cooked where it was in use, others swear they do. I think the range of lighter fluid taste 'perceived' has to do more with individual palates than the presence of an off taste or not. In particular, a person with a partial or full denture that covers the roof of their mouth will not 'taste' to the full extent they could with a bare palate. I learned this when I had a flipper that covered my palate while getting a front tooth dental implant. There was a huge difference between what I could taste with and without the flipper so I always removed it when eating.
Kathy's Smokin'
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Location: On two acres in the country just outside of Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Previous

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice