New to cold smoking: Bacon

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

New to cold smoking: Bacon

Postby UserError » 30 Sep 2014, 09:53

Hello, my efforts have stalled as I have a number of questions for which I have not been able to find answers, despite rummaging through these forums.

I'm hoping to smoke some bacon (belly) and have made a low-budget introductory set up to see how I get on:

I've made a smoker using a Smokey Joe Smoke n Grill I was given, and have made an installation using an old electric hob ring with it's temp controller & this works as expected. What sort of temperature should I be looking for at the top? Using my multimeter probe I'm getting around 22 degreesC and am worried about the meat sitting at that temperature for hours or does the smoke take care of that?

Also, how long would you smoke 1.2kg belly and how much wood do i need to prepare as I don't want to run out part way through...

Finally, I'm trying to find some wood to use. My father has a stack of seasoned walnut, but of all the woods available, this doesn't get a good write up! I have found a dead oak branch about 4cm diameter but it is covered in lichen & bark. Presumably at least the lichen needs to come off: what about bark?

Lots of questions I know, but I would really appreciate any guidance with this.
Cheers
UserError
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: New to cold smoking: Bacon

Postby keith157 » 30 Sep 2014, 10:00

Can I ask how long you cured the belly for? There are a couple of people on here who have cured and smoked their own bacon and hams but may I recommend using the search facility as you should find that quicker.
keith157

Postby YetiDave » 03 Oct 2014, 05:55

Cured meats are safe stored up to 15C, so that's probably a bit on the warm side
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby derekmiller » 03 Oct 2014, 08:32

You will be fine to cold smoke upto about 29C, especially with bacon, as you will be cooking it later.
I actually prefer to hotsmoke my bacon, slowly over about 3-4hrs, freeze or chill and then fry up.. :D
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice