Help with BBQ for large events

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Help with BBQ for large events

Postby winwick » 24 Sep 2014, 19:55

Hi,

I am involved in my kid's school PTA. Our BBQ let us down big time for our summer event and we are looking for a replacement. Our next big event is for bonfire night and apparently last year they had 1700 people through the gates. Obviously not everyone buys food but we need a substantial BBQ to give us a chance of keeping up.

We don't have a huge budget but are willing to spend some £££ to get the right one. It will get rolled out at a number events of the year so will pay for itself pretty fast.

So, I guess what i'm asking for is recommendations. We have looked at an Outback with 6 burners which is described as suitable for a large family BBQ. We are struggling to understand how much we could cook at any one time on something that size. Any ideas? We normally stick to burgers and sausages if that helps. I'm guessing a 6 burner won't be big enough.

I'd really appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Thanks,

Rachel
winwick
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Help with BBQ for large events

Postby aris » 25 Sep 2014, 12:38

Hmm, 1700 people coming through for a few hours - you will be lucky to make 100 burgers or sausages - and being in the dark, some may not cooked them properly (risk of food poisoning).

If you want to push through alot of food in a short time, you need to have stuff pre-cooked. Something like frankfurters (which are already cooked out of the package) - these can be warmed through in boiling water for a few minutes (just need a gas ring), and then (optionally), given some grill marks on a gas BBQ. In a bun - 2 quid - thank you very much. Leftover franks in their packaging can be frozen and used another day.

Of course this being the BBBQS - you could pre-prepare loads of pulled pork, take it there hot in coolers, keep it warm somehow - then put it in a bun, bit of coleslaw, sauce - 4 quid, thank you very much. Problem with this is what to do with leftovers - which will cut into your profits.

Anything else - particularly in the dark, I think is a lot of work and a fair bit of risk.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 25 Sep 2014, 12:42

If you do want a grill - get something that will last, and has the capacity to do what you want.

http://www.cindersbarbecues.co.uk/

Buy here: http://www.nisbets.co.uk/4/Catering-App ... 1c03.r10.1

They are not cheap, but commercial grade quality. You can also hire them from HSS:

http://www.hss.com/g/90148/Gas-Coal-Bar ... -BBQ-.html
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 25 Sep 2014, 23:37

Something like this is cheap and easy to build and set your fire right could cook for a lot of people on two BBQ's made from one drum
http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-braai-access ... 0180657409
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby stretchie_ » 08 Oct 2014, 09:29

Yeah, the Cinders are good, I do the BBQ at the local pub, althought no where near 1,700, when they have an event on, just burgers, sausages and chicken breasts but the Cinders is bloody awesome, then they have a decent sized second gas BBQ with a lid next to it which I use as a warming area.

I cook up loads of burgers and sausages (and keep my trusty thermo pen in my pocket to check they are done) and put them in a big gastronorm pan and in the gas BBQ to keep warm, and chicken breasts I butterfly and try to keep two at a time, don't want them going dry, that wouldn't be nice, also have some seasoning salts which get shook on the chicken if people want some.

And just replenish the sausages and burgers as they start getting short. You want some sort of trivet in the bottom of the pan though or the burgers and sausage will be swimming in fat.
stretchie_
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice