the right barrel

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: the right barrel

Postby SmokeyJoe » 15 Oct 2014, 12:22

You can use the top for a lid of you grind the outside of the lip, that is what I did . You will see a faint blueing steel line appear as the metal gets thinner. Take you time when you see this so you don't go too deep. When you have ground enough off you should see two faint lines. The lid might pop off but from my experience on the first drum and the second one which is being build at the moment is that a you need a hammer to break the seal. Just go round the edge tapping the top of where you did the grinding, it shoud then come off. The lid will be a tight fit so a light sanding on the inside of the drum edge should help, if nut then try to pull the top edge of the drum out a bit, you can you grips or a spanner to do this.
SmokeyJoe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby SmokeyJoe » 15 Oct 2014, 14:00

Forgot to say I washed the them first then filled them up to the top with water before grinding the top. One of mine had a solvent so there was a real risk when grinding but I would do it for all of them just in case.
SmokeyJoe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby TheMeatThief » 26 Feb 2016, 18:47

Hi guys I've just brought a used oil drum and making it into a BBQ it was an empty new oil drum do I just burn it out a few times before cleaning it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheMeatThief
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 02 Mar 2016, 11:44

So long as it gets nice and hot the first time I'd just do it once.

If it was clean oil you should be pretty safe.

With all the crud in the environment and our food I don't think it will make much difference. I'm sure jerk vendors in Jamaica don't faff about half as much and you don't hear of epidemic death there do you?

I know that sounds flippant but you get my point?

Wash it out, burn it out, buzz it with a twisted cup brush on a grinder and then a final wash. That's what I do.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BigG » 02 Mar 2016, 13:25

I've lost count of the number of forums & websites I've read regarding this question of Whether to Sandblast,Wire Wheel for hours on end,acid application,weed burner treatment,purchasing a brand new bare steel barrel or to simply abandon the project and use it as an incinerater for garden rubbish and leave it to rust at the bottom of your garden due to the constant obsession with "will it kill me if I cook in it?" "what if my brisket gets contaminated" "will my savloy taste funny" (no punn intended)

I figured I'd give my 2 peneth in my humble opinion and share my research for those who are starting a UDS build and have halted at this first hurdle.

The red/orange/tan "epoxy phenolic resin" liner is almost impossible to burn out and takes considerable time and effort to wirewheel out. You'll put your lungs and throat at more risk of damage trying to sand it out without using the CORRECT breathing equipment with fit for purpose filters, not just some old dust mask from your tool box.

This stuff is NOT just paint regardless of any over spray marks at the rim you may see, it's just the way they applied the resin before baking in the manfacturing process.

I did spend a lot of time trying to work out what this stuff is and if it was toxic to humans!!
I even Contacted a couple of paint/epoxy resin manafacturers and waded thorugh a lot of technical material data spec sheets and replies from them.

General overall consensus is that it's harmless! Anything that might be harmfull will be burned out in the initial hi-temp 'burn out' you do to burn the outside paint off.

This stuff could be used to succesfully coat the surface of the sun! Your never going to cook or heat it up to over 1000F which is what you'd need to do to start breaking it down.

So if you can't get all the liner off - seriously, I figured it's not a problem, just ignore it in my opinion!

You're never going to clean the inside of the drum, so after a while (very quickly in my experience, 1 or 2 cooks) it'll be covered in lovely black smokey oily residue anyway, sealing it all safely in.

http://www.heresite.com/products.php

Yes, Muratic acid will eat the red liner out. Seems more risky than cooking with it in though! My friend has got a top chemistry degree and can't see how leaving the liner in would hurt at all at the slow n low cooking temps of anything from 150F-400F at these temps the liner is barely luke warm in comparison.

My research certainly raised my comfort level a lot. With just a little reassurance from some science input.

i would certainly be careful eating the liner out with the Muratic acid as it lets out some really toxic/noxious fumes.and is probably more harmful/dangerous than anything else mentioned.

"Epoxy Phenolic barrel coatings feature improved flexibility and adhesion, and become (after baking) non-toxic, odorless and tasteless. Subsequently meet the requirements of the FDA Regulation, Title 21, CFR175.300 for direct food contact.

Other than that - it's been covered :-)

I've heard of people giving up completely because they can't tackle or face the liner issue, :shock: and other's saying yes you have to remove it and it's all part of the "fun" of building one and how you'll get more satisfaction at the end for doing it ?? errrrrrrr I beg to differ. :roll:

I personally had 1 nice hot fire in my barrel for 3-4 hours until the sides of it starting glowing red in the dark, I wire wheeled over it to remove any loose bits etc then left it as it was, gave it a wipe out/wash and a clean then dipped a rag in veg cooking oil and wiped round the entire inside/bottom/lid underside twice to clean and season/coat it thoroughly. Sprayed the outside with 2 coats of BBQ black paint, job done & Good Times ;) After the first couple of times smoking/cooking the entire inside is now coated in lovely smokey residue and all the food has been superb.
Good luck if your building a UDS and make sure you share the experience.

G
BigG
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 02 Mar 2016, 18:00

It begs the question - why do a burnout at all?
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BigG » 02 Mar 2016, 18:27

Depends what it's had inside, I get them free from work but they need more than just a wash
BigG
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 02 Mar 2016, 20:00

Ones I've seen with a liner we're used for fruit pulp.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice