BBQ Books

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

BBQ Books

Postby SunofTzu » 05 Oct 2010, 12:28

Just wondered if any of the forum had any recommendations (or views) on BBQ books. I enjoy cooking so will tend to pick up a couple of recipe books for the style of cooking I'm trying to add to my repertoire and having started proper Q this year. its been no exception. I realise there is a lot of information that can be picked up on the net but wondered if anyone had any views on good Q books to have on the shelf. The ones I've tried are:

Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbeque Cookbook - Not bad, a few interesting recipes. Lack of pictures and make sure you are happy working in "cups"
    Championship BBQ Secrets for Real Smoked Food - Probably has a wider range of recipes than I was after rather than sticking to slight variations on the basics
    Smoke and Spice - Probably the best of the bunch for a beginner imho. Variations around the standard BBQ offerings without getting too exotic plus some good introductory discussions
SunofTzu
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: BBQ Books

Postby Chris__M » 05 Oct 2010, 13:36

When I was teaching myself the basics a couple of years ago, I found How To Grill by Steven Raichlen invaluable. It is geared mainly towards charcoal - being an excellent book for a kettle owner, but also covers other kit, including gas grills, and a couple of pages on smokers. It is extremely well illustrated and goes into things in good detail, including food preparation. Despite the title, it isn't just about direct grilling - it also covers indirect methods and some smoking. As such, I would say it is a particularly good book for a novice.

I later got Raichlen's The Barbecue! Bible. There is a lot of overlap between the two books, but the Bible contains slightly less in-depth detail, and more recipes.

Both are heavily discounted on Amazon, neither being more than a tenner.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 06 Oct 2010, 12:48

Smoke & Spice is my BBQ bible.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Postby Steve » 06 Oct 2010, 19:52

My favourite is Peace, Love & BBQ. Not a recipe book, but has some great recipes in it as well as being an enjoyable read.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MadCow » 06 Oct 2010, 22:50

I have a collection of BBQ Books for sale - majority of which I bought in the USA ... will put together a list and if anyone is interested please let me know ,., that or they'll go on eBay !
MadCow

Postby esselle » 07 Oct 2010, 14:26

Mike_P_in_Tucson wrote:Smoke & Spice is my BBQ bible.

That makes 2 of us.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby joker smoker » 07 Oct 2010, 16:45

Smoke and spice..the first book I bought and still getting used .....Competition secrets by Ron Schewchuk is the book which I think has helped me the most in Competition
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby All Weather Griller » 07 Oct 2010, 20:10

A good BBQ buddy of mine gave me a copy of smoke and spice. It's an excellent book!
All Weather Griller

Postby esselle » 07 Oct 2010, 20:44

;)
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice