First smoke... Do I NEED a thermometer?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: First smoke... Do I NEED a thermometer?

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 09 Sep 2014, 13:55

BraaiMeesterWannabe wrote:
YetiDave wrote:I've never used anything but lumpwood. I find briquettes too inconsistent in terms of quality, and good lump is much cheaper and easier to come by

I like lump for a BBQ and often use that or hardwood. You have to buy top quality briquettes or not at all and they are not cheap. I use the Weber Premium and they really hold heat for ages.

I'd be really interested in your results on tonight's trial run using lump as it would be a much cheaper option than top grade briquettes. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hi YetiDave
How did the lumpwood fare in the WSM?
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby YetiDave » 09 Sep 2014, 14:04

It was Robbo using it in a WSM :) although I did pick up some B&Q lumpwood and it's damn good stuff. Had no trouble getting my UDS to 350F with only 2 of the 4 vents open. It's £4 for 7kg in clearance at the mo
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 09 Sep 2014, 14:40

YetiDave wrote:It was Robbo using it in a WSM :) although I did pick up some B&Q lumpwood and it's damn good stuff. Had no trouble getting my UDS to 350F with only 2 of the 4 vents open. It's £4 for 7kg in clearance at the mo

Doh! :oops: How long a burn do you get from lump? Would you leave a Pork Butt overnight for example?
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby YetiDave » 09 Sep 2014, 14:56

I'd happily leave it overnight, couldn't tell you precisely how long a burn you get but it's obviously less than briquettes. Depends on atmospheric temp, cooking temp, how much you're cooking, how windy it is.. The bonus is that lump burns hotter though
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 09 Sep 2014, 16:02

Thanks for your help
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby robbo1982 » 09 Sep 2014, 20:07

Sorry guys missed this - I used tesco lump wood. Got two bags for 8 quid 5kg bags. Anyways filled the 47cm webber up used probably 3/4 of a chimney but I put them in while they were flaming and then dampened them down... Bit school boy. Anyways all worked out and they ran through till the Am. Topped up at 2am but probably didn't need to. Used maybe 3.5 to 4 kgs of lump all in for a 12 hr cook[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/10/bajevy2u.jpg[/img][img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/10/2ysase7y.jpg[/img]
robbo1982
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Previous

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice