First smoke... Do I NEED a thermometer?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

First smoke... Do I NEED a thermometer?

Postby robbo1982 » 04 Sep 2014, 07:00

Hi gang

Taking delivery today of my new wsm 47... Question I'm going to do a pork shoulder low and slow as my first item... Have people arriving late lunch on sat so will aim to have it cooked for say mid day sat.

Question shall I just set her up and go or should I get a et733 or the like to monitor? Do I really need one? I know it's better to have one or should I just use in lid thermo?

Also read about slow cooker and using that to finish em off... Am wondering can I cook in the slow cooker for a while then finish on the BBQ or will I not get as good smoke penetration etc?

Thanks in advance
robbo1982
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: First smoke... Do I NEED a thermometer?

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 04 Sep 2014, 07:28

Hi Robbo

I have just bought a WSM 47 and it holds temp beautifully. I found the lid thermo inaccurate and have ordered a Maverick. I did find that dropping an instant read thermo through the lid vent helped to determine what the rack temp might be.

I have no personal experience of Pork Shoulder but have read quite a bit and lots of pointers in here. Basically you want to season well in advance and the cook for 10 to 12 hours. Try not to lift lid as they say each peak means add 20mins. As I say, lots of advice on here and also www.amazingribs.com. Good luck
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby YetiDave » 04 Sep 2014, 07:33

If you're gonna use the slow cooker, smoke first then pop it in a slow cooker to finish ;) It doesn't work well at all doing it the other way around. You can get away with using the lid thermometer I reckon, as pork butt is very forgiving
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby robbo1982 » 04 Sep 2014, 07:43

Cheers Dave. My wife thinks I'm nuts getting this thing going over night.... I don't reckon il have time to smoke first so il aim for smoking the whole butt straight off the bat...
robbo1982
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby YetiDave » 04 Sep 2014, 08:02

robbo1982 wrote:Cheers Dave. My wife thinks I'm nuts getting this thing going over night.... I don't reckon il have time to smoke first so il aim for smoking the whole butt straight off the bat...

You've always got the option of just smoking for 3-4 hours then getting it in the slow cooker overnight? It might be a safer bet if you don't 'know' the cooker yet :)
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 04 Sep 2014, 08:10

robbo1982 wrote:Cheers Dave. My wife thinks I'm nuts getting this thing going over night.... I don't reckon il have time to smoke first so il aim for smoking the whole butt straight off the bat...

My first use of my WSM 47 got 9 hrs at 120c (lid thermo) before I went to bed...and it was still going strong. 1 chimney starter unlit spread in base and then half chimney lit and added to the unlit. Top vent open, bottom vents half open. Used Weber Premium briquettes. Why don't you do a trial run tonight - start it about 8 hrs before your alarm call and see what it's doing when you get up? Waste of coal maybe but good to get to know your WSM before the main event.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby robbo1982 » 04 Sep 2014, 08:15

Good idea. Plus that could be the seasoning burn. Another variable is the lump wood... :-s
robbo1982
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 04 Sep 2014, 10:01

robbo1982 wrote:Good idea. Plus that could be the seasoning burn. Another variable is the lump wood... :-s

Any excuse to have a play with the new toy :lol:

Ummm, lump wood? Not sure if that will sustain a long cook :o
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby YetiDave » 04 Sep 2014, 11:02

I've never used anything but lumpwood. I find briquettes too inconsistent in terms of quality, and good lump is much cheaper and easier to come by
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 04 Sep 2014, 11:08

YetiDave wrote:I've never used anything but lumpwood. I find briquettes too inconsistent in terms of quality, and good lump is much cheaper and easier to come by

I like lump for a BBQ and often use that or hardwood. You have to buy top quality briquettes or not at all and they are not cheap. I use the Weber Premium and they really hold heat for ages.

I'd be really interested in your results on tonight's trial run using lump as it would be a much cheaper option than top grade briquettes. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice