Buying meat at smithfields

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Buying meat at smithfields

Postby robbo1982 » 01 Sep 2014, 17:38

Hi has anybody bought direct at smithfields? I know the public can go in just wondered what the price per kg was like versus a regular butcher...

Cheers
robbo1982
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Buying meat at smithfields

Postby keith157 » 02 Sep 2014, 11:33

What is important to bear in mind is allowing for your time and travel costs. If you are going to explore the depths of Smithfield rather than the shops/kiosks on the outside it will take time. Whilst the meat may well be slightly cheaper (sometimes much cheaper depending on demand) you have to offset your travel costs and expenses (you will want to park, eat and probably have a coffee etc whilst there) against popping down to your local butcher.
keith157

Postby robbo1982 » 02 Sep 2014, 11:55

Valid points... I work in town so my only real costs will be an hour or toes sleep loss for getting up early before it closes!
robbo1982
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby derekmiller » 02 Sep 2014, 20:06

You will need to get there soon after it opens. I stay in Aldgate, so only 15 mins walk. I have visited many times, but only bought once from there, much happier with the relationship I have with my local butcher in Bedford.
Derek.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Swindon_Ed » 06 Sep 2014, 21:43

I think Smithfields is only worth it if you are buying BIG quantities, but then getting stock can be a problem as well. I've bought pork shoulders for £3.35 per kg & brisket for £4.50 per kg, but i've also turned up at 3am for them to have no pork shoulders which wasn't great. Pork ribs were cheap but not very good.

Also, i didn't think that the quality of the meat at Smithfields was very good.
Swindon_Ed

Postby MrBlue » 06 Sep 2014, 22:38

3am?? :o :o it must be meat love! :lol:
MrBlue
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby robbo1982 » 07 Sep 2014, 08:26

Cheers guys... I might explore a couple of my local options too but they always seem to be overpriced and clue less
robbo1982
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 12 Sep 2014, 11:24

Swindon_Ed wrote:I think Smithfields is only worth it if you are buying BIG quantities, but then getting stock can be a problem as well. I've bought pork shoulders for £3.35 per kg & brisket for £4.50 per kg, but i've also turned up at 3am for them to have no pork shoulders which wasn't great. Pork ribs were cheap but not very good.

Also, i didn't think that the quality of the meat at Smithfields was very good.

When I was a butcher back in the 1970's there was an order to the meat at Smithfields which I doubt has changed very much. The prime cuts/stock went to the highest paying customer i.e. Michelin restaurants and hotels, the next went to both the Smithfield shops and regional distributors such as Swifts & Weddels. Now this was the interesting part, towards the end the bulk buyers would arrive i.e. Spillers etc. (for your doggies dinner) then Walls etc. (for your pork pies, sausage rolls etc) and IN THAT ORDER.
Your best chance of top quality meat from Smithields or similar sites is, IMHO, either get there VERY early and make friends with one of the suppliers (which takes time and effort and may involve coffee buying) or still my favourite have a good long chat with your butcher as he will have the contacts. Granted you will pay more than in a supermarket but if you have a good butcher they can and should ask around on your behalf.
keith157

Postby robbo1982 » 12 Sep 2014, 13:09

Thanks Keith! I'm a bit lacking in butchers where I live which is just plain stupid I'm sure there is a killing to be had in the area!
robbo1982
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 15 Sep 2014, 14:00

Need a forum coop and bulk buy!
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice