First smoker

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

First smoker

Postby robbo1982 » 24 Aug 2014, 12:10

Hi folks

I have a gas BBQ but am looking to purchase my first smoker...

Have ruled out a ceramic based on the cost, even the small kamado joes are expensive on a what you can cook basis.

So have been looking at :

1. Really cheap Ebay type options that are 30 odd quid. will probably be good for an experiment and then I could save up a bit.

2. Brinkman - probably with the basic mods

3. Pro q - either excel or frontier

4. Weber smokey mountain maybe the 37cm

All of these are under or around 230quid.

Any pearls of wisdom to help me decide?

Also can I use real wood instead of lump wood charcoal for a long burn? I have a wood burner so lots of hardwood stacked up!

Cheers
robbo1982
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: First smoker

Postby Tiny » 24 Aug 2014, 14:45

Hello chap,1 and 2 don't bother imho you will be throwing money away and trying to keep stable temps in the winter with a cheapo smoker will be misereable indeed. I have an landmann offset rusting at the bottom of the garden because I thought I would save a few quid.......false economy.

3 and 4 are good ideas, I originally thought the 37cm too small but having felt it it would cook a couple of joints or several rib racks very well indeed.

So keep scanning as in the next 2 weeks you may bag a bargain, may be worth visiting bbq vendors and seeing if you can bag a bonus on an ex display model.

Finally, nope you cant use hardwood only in an upright smoker, too much smoke your food would be horrible. Charcoal burns with very little smoke and you add a couple of chunks of hardwood in for flavour, too much wood and the food will be oversmoked and horrid.

Whatever you decide - happy smoking!
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby robbo1982 » 24 Aug 2014, 15:26

Cheers for the advice Tiny. Pro Q does look comparable with the webers especially size wise.... I did actually speak with mac and he seemed passionate about the pro q which is good but I can't believe you only get 1 yr warranty vs a webber that is 10 times that!
robbo1982
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby YetiDave » 24 Aug 2014, 15:39

Another option if you don't mind putting in a bit of time or effort is to build your own - an Ugly Drum Smoker. You'll get a better smoker than all of those and it shouldn't cost more than £100 or so to put together
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 24 Aug 2014, 16:01

For most smokes the smaller weber will suit unless you cook for lots of people on a regular basis. I'm my opinion you can't beat the weber for build quality if you're not buying a ceramic.
JEC

Postby BRUN » 25 Aug 2014, 11:06

having seen the small WSM in the flesh, I think you might struggle with ribs, it would be fine for small/medium sized pork shoulder or brisket, but id save up and get the WSM 47cm if you can, or go for the Pro Q

find a spot in your garden that's the most sheltered from wind, as that's what affects temps the most
BRUN
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby robbo1982 » 25 Aug 2014, 19:47

Is 295 a good price for the 47cm wsm or are they likely to come down a bit once we hit proper autumn? I'm guessing that is probably a fair deal....
robbo1982
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby RobinC » 25 Aug 2014, 20:34

That's not the lowest I've ever seen one at but it's not a bad deal. Whilst you do tend to get some deals on BBQ stuff this time of year it's much less often you see them on WSMs as they are not so frequently stocked
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby robbo1982 » 26 Aug 2014, 08:43

Thanks everyone the deed is done - a 47cm is on it's way! My wife thinks I'm crazy buying a BBQ after the weather we have this bank hols weekend!!! Now I will be surfing for hints tips and rubs...
robbo1982
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Skinny T » 28 Aug 2014, 10:21

Congratulations on your purchase, I got at 57cm WSM at the beginning of the year and its definitely an awesome smoker and definitely worth every penny. Would make sure you fire it and season it before going straight in for a cook. I have put a link below that really helped me. Its from Slap Yo Daddy BBQ.

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2014/03/f ... ntain-pit/

Hope this helps and have fun, shame about the weather though time to break out the water proofs and a gazebo!
Skinny T
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice