Brisket - Inject or not ?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Brisket - Inject or not ?

Postby BRUN » 18 Aug 2014, 15:21

just picked up a 2.8kg brisket from my butcher, I cant make my mind up on whether to inject it or not

opinions ???

ive only ever done one brisket, and I had a bit of a nightmare with cooker temps, and then I had to take it off early because I had to go the hospital (unrelated to the bbq/smoker lol)

I do want the best chance of it turning out tender, so im swinging towards an injection at the mo, some watered down stock with a bit of the rub thrown in
BRUN
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Brisket - Inject or not ?

Postby JEC » 18 Aug 2014, 16:17

Inject no, but if you want the best chance of success I would wrap in foil after 3 to 4 hours. I don't always bother with foil but for an important second cook I like yours I would
JEC

Postby BRUN » 18 Aug 2014, 17:10

Yea, I'm planning to foil it for certain at about 160f
BRUN
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 18 Aug 2014, 18:49

This is from a position of no science just blind faith.....nno to injecting I think it is an waste of time, but yes to foiling after 3 hours and yes to the brisket taking 40% longer than you expect!
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BRUN » 19 Aug 2014, 14:50

hmmmm no to injecting it seems :geek:
BRUN
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 20 Aug 2014, 09:31

Tiny wrote:This is from a position of no science just blind faith.....nno to injecting I think it is an waste of time, but yes to foiling after 3 hours and yes to the brisket taking 40% longer than you expect!
Cheers
Tiny

Is that no injecting full stop, or just not brisket?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby YetiDave » 20 Aug 2014, 10:50

Just a personal thought on injections, but I've never liked the idea of injecting a nice piece of meat with stock. Why would you ever want it tasting like a stock cube when you put that much time (and likely money) into preparing it? A quality, homemade stock maybe, but never anything that comes off a shelf. It's like using gruyere and emmental for a fondue then mixing in a packet of those plastic-like cheese slices
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby RobinC » 20 Aug 2014, 11:01

I've never injected brisket as I don't cook it very often. Have done it a number of times with pork butts and I've never really been convinced that it achieves much/anything. I know on the competition circuit most people seem to inject with something or other. If you're inclined to inject I don't think you will make the end result any worse by doing so
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Tiny » 20 Aug 2014, 17:11

Essex smoker,
no to injecting per se. Brisket and pork butt are the lovely things they are because intramuscular fat and the like melts and goes ooze tastic, what are you possibly going to inject that is going to be tastier than the internal unctuosity of an decent piece of meat?

Maybe I could find a case for poultry, but vertical roasting with liquid inside seems to keep the birds moist, ahem, as it were.....

So I do say no to injecting, unless you are looking to inject some kind of unnatural flavour enhancing chemical combo, which may win you competitions but for normal home consumption I say no thanks.........

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 21 Aug 2014, 10:17

Interesting to here the opioions. I've never done it but was thinking about trying it. I thought that it was normally apple juice and rub injected? Does that not make a difference? Maybe I won't bother now.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice