Pulled pork - What went wrong?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Pulled pork - What went wrong?

Postby Burnt2acrisp » 10 Aug 2014, 21:15

Hi, firstly I'm new to the forum- I have been having a good look round for a long time and picking up lots of helpful hints and tips, so thought it was about time to join, especially as I'm now in need of some help!

I had my first attempt at pulled pork yesterday. I had about 1.1kg of meat that I got from costco and I followed the Mr browns recipe, but as I don't have a smoker, cooked on a OTP. Put the rub on the night before and then started the cook early on sat morning . I set the bbq up with weber briquettes in a snake and stacked them in a sort of ' brick-bond' pattern 2 deep x 2 high. After lighting I gave it 30 mins to heat up and then place the pork on, with a drip tray and some water underneath. The temp gauge in the lid seemed to settle at about 220f and whilst tempted to have a peek, I left it shut for about 3 hrs. I kept monitoring- the temp did seem to go down for a while to about 200 and then back up- would this be just because of the snake burning slightly unevenly?

I mopped it a couple of times along the way with recipe sauce. It was on there for about 10 hours before reaching 190f inside the meat,at which point i took it off, wrapped it in foil and a towel and had an agonising half hour wait. When I finally got to it, the outside had what I thought wasn't a bad bark for a beginner but it wouldn't really pull. When I did get into it, it was really fatty and wet inside, so I was a bit disappointed to say the least. :shock:

I'd be grateful of any views of where I've gone wrong. Is the snake method the way to go or should I be doing something different?

Any help would be much appreciated

Paul
Burnt2acrisp
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Pulled pork - What went wrong?

Postby JEC » 11 Aug 2014, 05:58

Hello and welcome, it sounds like you had a good foundation for the cook so top marks there. I would suggest the reason why it didn't pull is the finish temperature was too low, personally I aim for 203 before taking off, the true test is to check the temperature and if it's in the right range 195 to 205 then stick a fork in the side, if it turns easily then it's done, if not leave it on for a couple of degrees more and check again. The temperature may vary because of your snake but also the wind will have an effect too. Regarding the fat you are supposed to pull the worst of it out when you pull the pork, some have more fat than others, increasing the temperature will allow more of it to render down

Don't be too hard on yourself the next cook will be better
JEC

Postby JBBQ » 11 Aug 2014, 08:42

I have also foudn (assuming yours was a rolled joint) that it really depends on which "Half" of the should you get in the UK - one half is really hard to pull due to its make-up. found this really pronounced when doing 2 at the same time.
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Twen » 11 Aug 2014, 13:04

I think your meat's core temperature wasn't high enough chap. I have followed this recipe twice on a WSM 47cm and it was lovely and pulled well. As per the previous post, keep trying practice makes perfect. :D
Twen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 11 Aug 2014, 14:28

Hello chum,
As most have said you have great foundations, my personal thought is that you were just not hot enough to render the fat. If your lid is showing 225 then your grill will be lower than that, a sage counseller observed "I take no notice of lid thermometers as I rarely want to eat the lid"

Did a 2.5kg in the weber OT on Friday, rather than snake I went fully opened vents, full chimney of lit lump on an chimney of unlit lump split either side. cooked at around 325f for 6 and a half hours and it pulled lovely. Worth giving the Turbo method a go imho, but if you want to stay slower I would still be targeting 250-270 at the lid....

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Burnt2acrisp » 11 Aug 2014, 16:20

Thanks for all the advice folks....the general thought seems to be too lower temp. I'm going to give it another go and will try And get it running a little warmer possibly with the turbo method previously described.

A quick further question - can you get the same results using a OTP as you would in a wsm?.... I don't own one but see they seem to be the preferred tool of choice on the forum and just wondered if it would give me a better result?

Thanks again.
Burnt2acrisp
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Twen » 11 Aug 2014, 17:12

in a word yes. The OTP is great all rounder but can't fully replicate the low and slow method of the WSM which requires much less monitoring once going... I like both mind.
Twen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 11 Aug 2014, 17:48

Well......I may be a little controversial here.

The OT cant do the same volume in an single cook as an WSM, nor can it be as reliably coaxed to temp and then left to forget but I believe for an single joint cook ie an pork shoulder, an brisket a couple of beercan chickens or 4-5 racks of ribs you can get reproduceable results with the OT.

I think life would be easier with an WSM, more volume could be done in one, but then you stray down an road.

It would be easier with an WSM
it would be easier still if there was a pit controller attached
It would be easier if you removed the variability of charcoal
It would be easier altogether to cook your bbq on an industrial electric smoker or pellet grill........

How easy do you want it? ?No right or wrong answer to this one other than "I like what I have or "I wish I had"

I have made my personal choice in that I have the OT which / I love, I have an gas grill for convienience, the next upgrade will be to an GMG pellet grill as I see this as the ultimate compromise between convenience and bbq goodness, but one of the joys of this site is we are all different and many have the OT and WSM as a tag team

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby noxskuses » 13 Aug 2014, 09:20

Get a GMG pellet grill and you'll never have to worry about temperatures ever again! :)
noxskuses
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby YetiDave » 13 Aug 2014, 10:19

Build a UDS and you'll (hardly) ever have to worry about temps again! :D

I'm turning into that guy :roll:
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice