18" kettle BBQ

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

18" kettle BBQ

Postby clairbare » 29 Sep 2010, 13:10

So I put the charcoal to one side, put some woodchips in foil onto coal, rubbed my ribs, got a temp of approx 110, lid on - seemed to be cooking well then too black to eat (admittedly I had popped out to get kids from school towards the end of cooking but i had wrapped in foil by then thinking it would be ok)

Is my BBQ too small for indirect cooking - it all seems too close to call it indirect!
Or is it just cos I went out and missed that perfectly cooked moment?

Also, be interesting to know where you all come from, how long you been q'ing, are you professional cooks? Also when is there another event/meet, would be good to get more involved and meet you all :) BTW i/we (my husband and I) come from West Sussex, he (Lee) has been bbq'ing for ages from a grilling point of view, I just eat it :)

Cheers for any more tips
Clair xx
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Re: 18" kettle BBQ

Postby esselle » 30 Sep 2010, 17:15

How long did you cook them for in total? And at what temperature?
I'm Scott from Leicester btw.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby clairbare » 30 Sep 2010, 17:39

Hi Scott
I cooked them for approx 5 hours at 110oC ish - I have a list of cooking times that i found on the net, problem is towards end went on school run so couldnt keep an eye on it!!

Currently trying to smoke almost 3lb of pork shoulder (from tesco) looking ok so far
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby esselle » 30 Sep 2010, 17:53

The temp and timing sounds ok - when did you foil them? Were they particularly small?
Have you got the same temp on your pork?
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby clairbare » 30 Sep 2010, 18:08

i foiled them after about 4 hours and they were prepacked from tesco so not very big - doing cheap meat athe mo as not been q'ing long myself - dont want to waste too much money if burning the crap out of it :?

Pork, it took a while for me to get temp up so cooked for first half hour at 75oC which i know is prob too low - then managed to maintain a good temp of around 107oC - been cooking for about 4.5 hours now, but meat probe shows temp of about 80 so reckon it needs a bit longer??

Wow i almost sound professional :)
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby esselle » 30 Sep 2010, 18:15

It was probably the fact that the ribs were small so they probably didn't need 5 hours and you could perhaps of foiled them earlier.
Your pork sounds to be nearly there though. What temp are you taking it off?
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby clairbare » 30 Sep 2010, 18:21

esselle wrote:Your pork sounds to be nearly there though. What temp are you taking it off?

Sorry to sound dim, well i am actually, but what do you mean?? DO you mean what internal meat temp am I aiming for before taking it off the coals? :oops:
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby clairbare » 30 Sep 2010, 18:31

OK pork is now off and wrapped in foil to rest - internal temp approx 70oC - looks and smells good, have taken a few pics, will post as soon as tasted - will let it rest for about an hour, is that about right??

Am very excited this is the best looking bit of meat I have managed to cook so far :)
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby esselle » 30 Sep 2010, 18:52

Yes sorry that's what I meant.
That's fine for resting - look forward to the pics.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby joker smoker » 30 Sep 2010, 20:16

Clair, if you're in west sussex, give me a call at bbq shack..come down for a day....I think you may have contacted me re pulled pork...
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice