Which smoker?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Which smoker?

Postby Teknik » 30 Jul 2014, 13:04

Hi guys,
New to the forum, been reading things for a while in anticipation of buying my first proper BBQ!
Basically i've been living in a flat for some time, buying my first house with a back garden soon and want to get a proper bbq/smoker. Really like the thought of making my own pulled pork, chilling in the back garden with a cider, maybe even using it as a patio warmer in the winter while smoking some food!
So, i've been looking around on amazon, ebay etc at offset smokers (i really like the look of them, i understand it may not be the most efficient though)
The two that have really caught my eye are the landman 11094 and the Azuma barrel smoker (links Here and Here)
I'd be willing to bet that a lot of you have already used these and many others, can you suggest a better smoker for under £150?

Thanks in advance,
Mike.
Teknik
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Which smoker?

Postby YetiDave » 30 Jul 2014, 15:38

Ello mate, welcome to the forum! I don't mean to rain on your parade, but you'll do much better to steer clear of cheap offsets. The thin metals and leaky construction mean they'll be a nightmare to use and they generally require 100% hardwood as fuel. If you've got a bit of knowhow (or not, as my case was) I'd highly recommend an Ugly Drum Smoker. You should be able to source all the parts for within your budget, and in building one you'll score yourself probably the best BBQ you can get for under.. well, a lot of money. In my humble opinion, they kick the arse of the Pro Q Excel, and whilst I've not used a WSM, there are those out there with similar feelings about 'em! This thread is well worth checking out -

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=23436

Edit: I should point out I've not used any of those offsets, so my opinion's just based on what I've read from others. Maybe one of our other members with more experience can weigh in :)
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 30 Jul 2014, 19:24

If you don't mind a project then offsets can be fun not to mention rewarding, if you're not then maybe best to look at one of the bullet smokers. Either way you can produce good food.
JEC

Postby Teknik » 30 Jul 2014, 19:56

I'm happy to tend the BBQ all day, as the idea is to sit outside and enjoy being in the garden.
I cant say i like the idea of it requiring hardwood fuel though, I was planning to buy the big bags of restaurant lumpwood from macro!
I've just been looking at a posh version of the UDS on ebay thinking I could do that Ebay
It remains to be seen if I can actually do that, since I don't have *any* metalworking tools! Must admit as well the wife really doesnt like the size of that so I may have to make one which is just one barrel! Love the idea of making it myself though!
Thats one hell of a thread you have linked me, Will give it a read while at work tomorrow!
Teknik
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby YetiDave » 31 Jul 2014, 18:43

You should take a look at Somapop's build in progress :) they're really easy to make

You can use charcoal as a fuel for offsets, but it won't burn as hot as hardwood so you'll need a heck of a lot of it. UDS on the other hand are super fuel efficient
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Teknik » 31 Jul 2014, 20:34

I've been reading the huge thread on uds's , started at about page 700 and am working my way through. Older posts the photos weren't loading due to age! I'm thinking I will build one, just got to convince the wife is a good idea first! Moving soon then baby in Nov so might be pushed back to next year. :cry:
Teknik
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby YetiDave » 31 Jul 2014, 20:45

It's a bloody good idea, they put out some fantastic BBQ ;) you can put one of these together in a weekend with all the parts
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby somapop » 01 Aug 2014, 11:23

Yes - take stock, a little breather and seriously consider building one.
I'd never heard of them until 2-3 weeks ago and came on here asking the same questions about smokers...yetidave convinced (and helped) me to give it a whirl.

I think there's enough help and info on here to make it a whole lot easier for you - I have a list of everything you need to get size wise (mostly from the same hardware/DIY store).
It will save you a large amount of cash and, from what I've read, give you a superior product at the end. Depending on what tools you have, you're probably looking at building one for around £60...look our for second hand/recylced stuff if you're in no rush. Freecyle have loads of washing machines on there you can hack for their drums (to use as a charcoal pit), otherwise you'll find loads online. You can be as fancy or as minimal as you want.
Great primal fun too :)
somapop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 05 Aug 2014, 17:24

Welcome chap,
Seems the chaps here have put you on the right track. Cheap offsets are utterly pointless, I have an landmann rusting away in the bbq graveyard, steel too thin, wouldn't hold heat, leaked like a sieve had no redeeming features.

UDS is a great shout, but look out for end of season bargains, got my Weber kettle 2 years ago for £50 delivered as B and Q dumped stock in Sept.

Cheers

Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby somapop » 06 Aug 2014, 13:01

Can you not use any of the landmann's parts in a UDS build?
I've bought a second hand 22.5" landmann (£15!) which I'll take apart and 'upcycle' in the UDS.

Good call re end of season...I'm looking for a bigger grill to sit alongside the UDS. A 22.5 weber would be good (performer!) or may go down the route of building a grill...either one of those brick kits you get (built one of those in the past) or a drum sliced in half. I'm guessing even with grilling it's best to incorporate a lid?

My put a welding kit on my xmas list :)
somapop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice