Cooking pulled pork

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Cooking pulled pork

Postby essexsmoker » 06 Aug 2014, 19:24

JEC wrote:I cook naked and at 300 to 350 most of the time now.

Ooo, mind your bits on a hot smoker!:D
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby somapop » 06 Aug 2014, 22:03

JEC wrote:I cook naked and at 300 to 350 most of the time now.

Sans foil or sans keks?

I'll give those temps ago as it might be easier to plan around, especially if results are pretty much the same.
In saying that, I'd like to try an overnighter.

Do most of you folks cook stuff like this throughout out the seasons (lidless, eat outdoors BBQ being another realm!).
somapop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby YetiDave » 07 Aug 2014, 06:42

If you can deal with the cold, there's no reason not to! :)
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby RobinC » 07 Aug 2014, 07:45

I cook all year round (inc Christmas day) but don't eat outside all year.
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Scantily » 07 Aug 2014, 10:26

Since I bought my wsm I've cooked on it 1-2 times a week come rain, snow or shine. Only things that will stop play are truly torrential downpours or if it's blowing a gale.
Scantily
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby somapop » 07 Aug 2014, 10:29

Thats what I like about these smokers rather than the conventional, British BBQ (cooking generic BBQ fodder on open grill with everyone sat outside). Like the idea that this will, instead, be a type of outdoor cooker. Don't mind the cold (unless it's really biting!) but from what I've read (and seen, giving the pics doing the rounds of smokers happily cooking away in deep snow!) the UDS should maintain it's temp irrespective of the environment?

Cheers.
somapop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Scantily » 07 Aug 2014, 11:05

somapop wrote:Thats what I like about these smokers rather than the conventional, British BBQ (cooking generic BBQ fodder on open grill with everyone sat outside). Like the idea that this will, instead, be a type of outdoor cooker. Don't mind the cold (unless it's really biting!) but from what I've read (and seen, giving the pics doing the rounds of smokers happily cooking away in deep snow!) the UDS should maintain it's temp irrespective of the environment?

Cheers.

Yep, outside air temperature or light rain shouldn't really affect the performance of a smoker. Heavy wind on the other hand can really screw with temperature regulation, it helps if you can position your smoker in a sheltered location.
Scantily
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby RobinC » 07 Aug 2014, 17:25

I do find in the cold it takes a little longer to light coals and get the cooker up to temp. I try to avoid cooking in very windy conditions.

Have cooked in the snow (Christmas one year, smoking and grilling). Coldest cooking temp was minus 8 and I was grilling.
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby YetiDave » 07 Aug 2014, 18:20

I'm with you - longer to get to temp, longer recovery times and greater fuel consumption. It's easily done though, I've cooked in the snow on Christmas Day too and the bird turned out really well
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 10 Aug 2014, 05:45

RobinC wrote:I cook all year round (inc Christmas day) but don't eat outside all year.

Same for me, cook all year round especially on Christmas Day.
JEC

Previous

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice