Using wood chunks for first time

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Using wood chunks for first time

Postby MyLeakyBucket » 24 Jul 2014, 16:27

I'm getting my first box of wood chunks from Paul Goulden for this weekend. Looking forward to first time using wood chunks rather than chips.

Any advice on how many first-sized chunks would be needed for a low/slow cook for pork ribs (so, c.4-5 hours) to avoid over-smoking? Also, is is easy to over-smoke with oak (in which case is it worth starting with cherry or apple)?

Was planning to ask whether to soak the chunks but a few youtube videos provided a convincing case that this is a waste of time.
MyLeakyBucket
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Using wood chunks for first time

Postby derekmiller » 24 Jul 2014, 19:42

Definitely don't soak, they will not draw in the water.
I tend to use 4-6 fist size chunks, only in the first 4 hrs. But again this is down to you to try out and see how much smoke you like. Its easy to over do it and you cant take it away. Start with perhaps 2-3 and see how you feel.

This was the latest post on using wood.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5024
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby YetiDave » 25 Jul 2014, 09:33

I think over-smoked is very subjective, so long as you've got the fire burning right you can get away with lots and lots of smoke. I'd estimate 1 chunk for every hour
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby RobinC » 25 Jul 2014, 09:52

Would agree with Derek. Smoke tastes are very much a personal preference but I think it is better to be undersmoked on your first cook rather than over smoked. Generally you don't want to see much in the way of smoke coming out of your cooker unless you are just doing a short burst.
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 25 Jul 2014, 18:04

I use 2-3 chunks and smoke flavour is a VERY personal taste. It is easy to overdo it on the first cook or two and starting off mild then getting progressively stronger is far better than an overdose which puts family & friends off.
keith157

Postby Scantily » 25 Jul 2014, 19:17

For big cuts of pork or brisket I'll use 4-5 fist size chunks, chicken around 2 and ribs 3-4. But I do like a lot of smoke flavour on my meats.
Scantily
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby MyLeakyBucket » 26 Jul 2014, 19:37

Thanks for the advice. Used three chunks of oak today for pork ribs. Definitely enough smoke, and was good to get a more constant smoke than I was getting with chips, where felt like I was constantly topping them up.
MyLeakyBucket
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice