Somapop' UDS Build

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Somapop' UDS Build

Postby essexsmoker » 09 Sep 2014, 18:03

somapop wrote:
I've tented to use just over half a 5kg (so perhaps 3kg) per long cook, but I tend to have a fair bit leftover (once all valves are closed the UDS soon snuffs out). I'm really placing coals two layers thick with the centre free for the hot coals.
For a smaller wash drum, the perhaps three layers would be required.
As mentioned above, you can afford to be generous as once shut down the unused coals will be good to go next time.

Be interested to know if you get away with one coat from a 250ml tin of paint...

Ahh ok, that's the kind of figures I was looking for. Thanks. I have a separate bag that I put the used coals in. I tend to use them for the grill.

When you long cook, you mean 6hr or a looong cook? 13hr?

Paint has dried now, onky first coat. It is VERY shiny! I guess being the first coat you can still see the brush strokes. Having said that I did rush it and use a really cheapo stiff and well used brush. If you have a fine soft one and take your time it would probably be much better.

Over all I think it will protect it much better than the other stuff and rain and dirt will come off the shiny surface much easier.

I personally prefer the matt finish but practically and durability wise I think it's the best choice.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby somapop » 09 Sep 2014, 18:16

essexsmoker wrote:
somapop wrote:
I've tented to use just over half a 5kg (so perhaps 3kg) per long cook, but I tend to have a fair bit leftover (once all valves are closed the UDS soon snuffs out). I'm really placing coals two layers thick with the centre free for the hot coals.
For a smaller wash drum, the perhaps three layers would be required.
As mentioned above, you can afford to be generous as once shut down the unused coals will be good to go next time.

Be interested to know if you get away with one coat from a 250ml tin of paint...

Ahh ok, that's the kind of figures I was looking for. Thanks. I have a separate bag that I put the used coals in. I tend to use them for the grill.

When you long cook, you mean 6hr or a looong cook? 13hr?

Paint has dried now, onky first coat. It is VERY shiny! I guess being the first coat you can still see the brush strokes. Having said that I did rush it and use a really cheapo stiff and well used brush. If you have a fine soft one and take your time it would probably be much better.

Over all I think it will protect it much better than the other stuff and rain and dirt will come off the shiny surface much easier.

I personally prefer the matt finish but practically and durability wise I think it's the best choice.

Firstly...my god (tented?)...I either have bad predictive text issues or I'm due a visit from the grammar police pretty soon :shock: !

I too like the matt finish, but the gloss looks a bit more finished. Be good if I could get away with one coat (250ml). Did you see any 500ml tins?
If you get chance to post any pics I'd be most grateful.
I'm going to place some penny washers on the upper grill section tonight. Fair bit of seepage (both air/smoke and oils) as I'd ran out of them.

Cheers.
somapop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 09 Sep 2014, 18:21

essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 09 Sep 2014, 18:23

What's worse is that I didn't even notice!:D