Somapop' UDS Build

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Somapop' UDS Build

Postby essexsmoker » 07 Sep 2014, 14:04

Hi somapop,

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0oXcy2 ... cslist_api

Not sure if this helps. Took a pic of the guide lines. Think it was about 7.50 for 250ml sonot cheap.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby somapop » 07 Sep 2014, 19:27

Cheers - let me know how you get on with it. Pretty sure I'll coat the UDS in that soon.
somapop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 07 Sep 2014, 20:04

I was a fag paper away from putting a coat on tonight, then had to do bedtime stories, hoovering, planning application stuff and tidying up the uds. Finally sat down. Will let you know how it goes. Should be better than the other stuff hopefully. I'm hoping a bit thicker for a start.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 08 Sep 2014, 06:23

Just out of interest how many chimneys full of briquettes do you use for a 6hr burn? And how much to start? Thanks.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby YetiDave » 08 Sep 2014, 06:53

Depends on the temp you're aiming for. If it's around 225 I'll go for 1/3-1/2 a chimney, if it's a hot and fast 300-350 cook I use a full chimney (of lit, that is)

In terms of the amount in the basket... *shrug* I always put in more than is needed as it'll snuff out the coals really quickly, so there's hardly any wastage. You want enough to cover the base of your basket or have a good sized pile on one side, but the amount of coal needed also depends on the temp of your cook. Put in more than you think you'll need and just use the unburnt stuff for your next cook
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 08 Sep 2014, 09:35

Hi yeti, thanks for that. I assumed about half a chimney per hour for a 120C cook, so about 3 chimneys full and then half to start it. Guess I'll just have to suck it and see. Thanks.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby somapop » 08 Sep 2014, 09:59

I tend to place just over half a chimney full (actually, the newspaper fills the bottom third then I add charcoal to the top).
I added a bit more as I'm currently cooking quicker at 320f temps so helps reach that faster.

My chimney doesn't have rods or mesh at the bottom (I'm going to have to hack something into to it) so I have to have a small cake tin underneath to stop the coals from falling out of the bottom. I think the Weber ones already have them fitted, but this was a cheapy. I guess metal kebab skewers would suffice.

Great bit of kit though!
somapop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 08 Sep 2014, 12:51

Ok. Any idea how much you fill your fire basket? I know you have a big 1. Phanar phanar. :D
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 08 Sep 2014, 18:47

Slapped the first coat on tonight. It is much thicker and felt like it actually coated it. Obviously there are brush strokes at the moment but these may dry out. Loads left in the tin, although not done the bottom yet.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby somapop » 09 Sep 2014, 10:20

essexsmoker wrote:Ok. Any idea how much you fill your fire basket? I know you have a big 1. Phanar phanar. :D

I've tented to use just over half a 5kg (so perhaps 3kg) per long cook, but I tend to have a fair bit leftover (once all valves are closed the UDS soon snuffs out). I'm really placing coals two layers thick with the centre free for the hot coals.
For a smaller wash drum, the perhaps three layers would be required.
As mentioned above, you can afford to be generous as once shut down the unused coals will be good to go next time.

Be interested to know if you get away with one coat from a 250ml tin of paint...
somapop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice