Total n00b needs help!

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Total n00b needs help!

Postby Batten85 » 22 Jul 2014, 23:06

Hi guys, finally bought myself a 57cm weber kettle today. Going to give it a blast tomorrow, following a trip to costco for some decent fuel and a starter chimney.

Eventually I hope to buy a smokenator for it, but for the time being I'm just going to use it to grill some chicken, steaks and sausages while I get used it it.

Any tips for this complete bbq novice? Lid on, lid off, how much fuel and where to position it etc etc.

Also, is it worth getting a thermometer for the lid? Or are alternative methods better? What is the best way to measure the temperature in the BBQ?

Thanks in advance, Tom.
Batten85
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Total n00b needs help!

Postby JEC » 23 Jul 2014, 05:52

Welcome and congratulations on your purchase. I would create a two zone cook area, that is spread the coals evenly on one side of the kettle. Always cooking with the lid on you should sear the meat first over the coals (direct zone) and then move to the other side (indirect zone) to finish cooking, I always try to keep the vent over the indirect zone. Regarding the lid thermometer it doesn't add much value, they are normally inaccurate. I would buy a temperature probe such as the units from ETI, much more important to know your food is cooked than how hot the grill is! If you want to splash the cash buy a maverick ET unit and it will do both. A full chimney of fuel should be enough for a normal grill session, I would suggest the Weber chimney if you can find one locally

Have fun.
JEC

Postby keith157 » 23 Jul 2014, 08:24

Tom, have a look at Weber' s own website they have loads of information for starting off as well as some good recipes. YouTube is also a great place to search for techniques and ideas.
A smokenator is a bit of a marinate item, some love them some don't, they are available in the UK and have been reviewed on here in the past.
keith157

Postby PDC7 » 23 Jul 2014, 11:47

Tom,

Ive got a 57cm Kettle One Touch (with thermometer) only had it about 2 months. but its had a whole lot of use!!!

Starting out...I had a measuring cup arrive with my BBQ im assuming you have the same one. For me I use 1 full cup of unlit fuel in the BBQ and a full chimney of lit fuel (about 2 cups worth) and I get a good 2-3 hrs from this (cheapo Tesco briq's close to 2 better stuff close to 3).

I pile all my coals to one side (covering about 1 third of the cooking grate at the most).

I Always cook with the lid one, weber recommend this also.

As for timings, that can be a bit loose really, I have the lid thermometer and know how accurate it is so knowing the temp inside the kettle I can compare it to oven cooking.
PDC7
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Batten85 » 23 Jul 2014, 14:07

Hi guys, thanks for your advice!

I've been out today and bought a chimney starter, some lump wood charcoal (not sure on the quality, it's fuel express), a beer can holder and a meat thermometer (would sticking this through the top vent give any indication of temp inside the kettle?)

I'm going to use the bbq tonight, as I say, only to grill some chicken breast in wing'n'rib sauce and a couple of steaks, I'm going to try the reverse sear method - obviously a relatively short cook. Should I use a bit less charcoal if I'll only need the grill for an hour or so? I do have the measuring cup.

Thanks again guys, Tom.
Batten85
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby PDC7 » 24 Jul 2014, 11:55

Tom,

Don't worry about using too much fuel all I do is:

When im done, close all vents and leave the lid on, about 1.5 hours later it is usually cool enough to put in the shed as all the coals are extinguished. Then next cook, I pick all the old extinguished coals from my last cook out of the kettle, put them in chimney then "shake" it over the wheelie bin, it knocks off all the ash and the fuel looks like new, then top up what ever you feel you need for next cook.

I usually put the "used" fuel unlit back in the kettle and then start some fresh coals in the chimney, but that's just my way of doing it
PDC7
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby YetiDave » 24 Jul 2014, 12:04

I'd be wary of bringing it in after a couple of hours. I did the same one evening and the next day when I went to get the BBQ out again I found that it still had lit coal in the bottom :shock:
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Matsuya » 24 Jul 2014, 15:35

YetiDave wrote:I'd be wary of bringing it in after a couple of hours. I did the same one evening and the next day when I went to get the BBQ out again I found that it still had lit coal in the bottom :shock:

Yes, it can be pretty dangerous. I poured out a pile of cool ashes from the ash catcher of my OTP into an old charcoal bag - the surface was cool to touch and it was an hour or so after the cook.

Two days later I discovered the bag was gone and when scooping the ash away discovered a couple of mini coals still lit in the middle!
Matsuya
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby MyLeakyBucket » 24 Jul 2014, 17:20

Yes, I still have a scorched patch on my lawn from chucking out ash almost 36 hours post BBQ that turned out to still be hot.

Tom, I'd be interested to know how you get on with the Fuel Express lumpwood. I haven't had the best luck with it recently, but don't have much to compare it with yet. I'm still at the stage of buying a single bag of everything until I get it right -- Big K and Heat Beads are next on my list to try from Range.
MyLeakyBucket
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Batten85 » 24 Jul 2014, 21:39

Great news!

The first cook went well, the ribeye were succulent and juicy, as was the chicken. However, I did overcooked them SLIGHTLY. Steaks weren't pink as I would like.

As for the fuel, I used a full chimney. By the time it had heated up, it had reduced by at least a quarter, when I poured it onto the grill, a lot of it fell through. There was JUST enough coverage to heat the small amount of meat I was cooking. All in all, not impressed with it. Think briquettes will be better but I'm wary of buying crap ones with additives etc, any recommendations for decent fuel?

Also need to figure out a way of cooling the grill down and removing potentially hot fuel. Currently it has to reside in my garage, which is under my house and requires me to carry it through the hall. Obviously down want to leave my new pride and joy outside! I have bought a steel bucket in readiness
Batten85
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice