New Weber OTP - does the thermometer need calibrating?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

New Weber OTP - does the thermometer need calibrating?

Postby Altissimus » 17 Jul 2014, 12:25

Hey,

I've recently acquired a new Weber kettle to get into some serious barbecuing, and I put it together as per the manufacturer's instructions (which weren't very helpful!) without calibrating the thermometer. I've since read that calibrating the thermometer is a good idea...is that necessary with modern webers, and if so how do I do it effectively?

Cheers,
A
Altissimus
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: New Weber OTP - does the thermometer need calibrating?

Postby RobinC » 17 Jul 2014, 14:08

You won't be able to calibrate it as such, just work out how accurate it is. You could unscrew it then dip it in boiling water and see how close it is. Personally I've never bothered doing that and just use the lid therm as a rough guide. Even if it was spot on the temp at the lid is not the same as the temp at the grate. If you're cooking with only part of the grate having coals on it you will also get different temp readings when the therm is above that section as opposed to the cooler section.
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Matsuya » 17 Jul 2014, 17:05

I'm with RobinC on this one - I've found that it's not even consistently too high or low.

I used my BBQ monitoring probe and there are some times when the thermometer is actually almost exactly the same as the probe, but other times when it's too low by 20-50°F. It has also been too high.

There are so many factors such as convection, humidity and positioning of coals that if you're worried about accuracy then a probe is better - but I suspect that even that is prone to inaccuracy.
Matsuya
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Deano » 18 Jul 2014, 09:58

Matsuya wrote:I'm with RobinC on this one - I've found that it's not even consistently too high or low.

I used my BBQ monitoring probe and there are some times when the thermometer is actually almost exactly the same as the probe, but other times when it's too low by 20-50°F. It has also been too high.

There are so many factors such as convection, humidity and positioning of coals that if you're worried about accuracy then a probe is better - but I suspect that even that is prone to inaccuracy.

Exactly my experience, sometimes it's the same as my maverick probe on the grill, other times it's out.
Deano
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 19 Jul 2014, 10:00

Great thing with a probe is that you can put I next to the meat on the grate so you know what the temp is around the meat not in the dome or anywhere else.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice