Having trouble getting Big Joe to low and slow

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Having trouble getting Big Joe to low and slow

Postby JEC » 06 Jul 2014, 18:57

dawg wrote:
JEC wrote:You can use briquettes but the amount of ash the produce is considerable compared to lump, defeats the object in a kamado. Also whatever you do don't use instant lighting, the lighter fluid will get in the ceramic enhancing every meal you cook thereafter!!

Cheers JEC, I've been to all my supermarkets looking for none instant lighting, found the big k at waitrose, everyone seems to say restaurant grade stuff is best for our Q's but value stuff seems to work ok, I'm not convinced it's such good value but I havnt tried the expensive stuff. I've fired up me kettle so prob use my bricks in that, I think I just found out what it means when your meat stalls, its been at 150 for a long time!

£ for lbs the BigK and Liverpool wood pellet restaurant lump has burned hotter and longer for me than any if the mainstream lump available in my local area, the only stuff I can get locally that is good is produced in the area by local foresters, unfortunately it's expensive and often on the smaller side. If you can afford to but in bulk I'd really recommend the BigK restaurant lump, ACH15 is simply awesome and most of all consistent bag for bag and year for year. Hope the stalls a thing of the past!!
JEC

Postby dawg » 06 Jul 2014, 19:10

Don't think I can afford this month's rent never mind bulk big k after getting the Big Joe! :D Still, I fixed the stall, been sitting at same temp for hours, upped the grill temp by 30° and I've got movement!
dawg
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JEC » 06 Jul 2014, 19:18

dawg wrote:Don't think I can afford this month's rent never mind bulk big k after getting the Big Joe! :D Still, I fixed the stall, been sitting at same temp for hours, upped the grill temp by 30° and I've got movement!

That's cheating!! :lol:

Don't worry about your rent, owning a man size grill means you could always sleep in it 8-)
JEC

Postby YetiDave » 06 Jul 2014, 19:43

I think ditching my thermometers and learning to cook by touch may have been the best thing I've done BBQ-wise. No more watching as the temp stays at 150, drops by a few degrees... Once you know what it feels like when it 'probes like buttah' you don't need no damn thermometers 8-)
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby dawg » 06 Jul 2014, 19:56

YetiDave wrote:I think ditching my thermometers and learning to cook by touch may have been the best thing I've done BBQ-wise. No more watching as the temp stays at 150, drops by a few degrees... Once you know what it feels like when it 'probes like buttah' you don't need no damn thermometers 8-)

And there was me thinking this was all science, how I've wasted money. :D
dawg
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby YetiDave » 07 Jul 2014, 06:24

It's a mixture of science, intuition and the voodoo that goes into creating a really good rub. Still haven't got that part nailed :roll:
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Matsuya » 07 Jul 2014, 21:14

People have been talking about sainsburys, but how does it compare with the tesco £5/5kg bags? I've been using briquettes all summer. They ash up a fair bit and you need a bit of a pile to keep going but usually they find a temperature and stick there almost forever.

I have had a couple of fires go out overnight but I'm hoping my new Maverick ET733 will alert me in time - I'm itching to try it out this weekend on a butt!
Matsuya
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Previous

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice