First time smoker!

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: First time smoker!

Postby YetiDave » 09 Jul 2014, 20:39

Don't bother with one of those things, they'll be more trouble than they're worth. To cut costs down you can have my spare drum, I bought two when I made my UDS in case I screwed up. I'll be moving in a couple of months and don't have space for my Pro Q, UDS and a spare drum! I found a kettle BBQ on ebay for about £30 when I put mine together. I'll get back to you on the other questions, just cookin' some Q ;)
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby somapop » 10 Jul 2014, 08:30

YetiDave wrote:Don't bother with one of those things, they'll be more trouble than they're worth. To cut costs down you can have my spare drum, I bought two when I made my UDS in case I screwed up. I'll be moving in a couple of months and don't have space for my Pro Q, UDS and a spare drum! I found a kettle BBQ on ebay for about £30 when I put mine together. I'll get back to you on the other questions, just cookin' some Q ;)

Are you sure? That's really kind. Struggling to get this through the 'accountant' bearing in mind we're going through a full house refurb....good food is important however :)

Did you pay around £12 for your thermo? I could use my thermopen (poking through to gauge internal smoker temp) and pick up a Maverick next year, but I think it would help in the short term, but I think it also finished off the UDS very well.
From the one's I've seen so far (including yours) UDS is a bit of a misnomer...beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that...!

Hope the cook went well last night...perfect weather for it of late.

Many thanks.
somapop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby YetiDave » 10 Jul 2014, 08:47

Yeah I'm sure, it's just been sat in the garden for the past year and like I say, I won't have space when I move :) I'm using one of these thermos http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-RIVER-COUNT ... 540c620b14 and against the Maverick it seems pretty accurate

Also your other questions...

"Did you place anything under the washing machine drum to catch the ash" - I didn't, but there's no reason you couldn't!

"Is the diffuser used in place of a water tray/clay/sand bowl?" - yeah, you can use a perforated pan but I don't like the flavour you get from fat hitting the coals on certain meats. But I love the flavour it adds to chicken

"Not sure the neighbours would appreciate a fire near their back gardens" - mine didn't actually throw off that much smoke or take that long to burn out, maybe just let them know you're going to burn it so they can take in the washing ;)

"The ball valves look good, but would they allow enough air to flow through?" - yeah, so long as they're pretty big they'll work well. I was just cutting down on cost and effort by using magnets

"I'm guessing a cooks blowtorch won't remove the outer paint" - good luck with that!! :D

I tried some BBQ beans for the first time last night and they're gonna be a staple side from now on. I totally cheated and used a couple of tins of Heinz added to a few slices of fried up bacon and a chopped onion. Added a few tbsp of molasses and a couple of tbsp of BBQ sauce and stuck it in the smoke for a couple of hours.. They were farkin' awesome
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby somapop » 10 Jul 2014, 10:26

Think that thermo is very similar to one I've bookmarked. They seem a few quid dearer than some of the others, but I'm guessing those (£4 ish range) are more trouble than they're worth:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001RCNQRE/ref=s9_simh_gw_p86_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0TPT6GQ5F996QJTJSYV7&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

In fact, I purchased a cheapish over thermo last week to sit inside my current kettle...tried it in our main kitchen oven and it came out half cooked (nicely tanned inside). Great.

So did you use a weed burner/flame thrower/gun to strip your outer paint? Just checked up on HSS hire and I'd be looking at £30 hire for that. I'll look into other options (liquid acid stripper perhaps?)

Also thinking of taking that current kettle apart and using bits and bobs from that (cut down legs and wheels for example).
Might even have a ball valve knocking around, otherwise I'll use either the current bottom vents from the existing kettle or use the magnets!

Good sides by the sounds of it!
Cheers.
somapop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby YetiDave » 10 Jul 2014, 11:02

I'd be tempted to go with a tried and tested brand thermometer, River Country have a good reputation. In saying that though, that thing seems to have good reviews :) For the outer paint, just burning it out removed everything inside and out, you don't need a weed burner or anything, just a nice hot fire
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby somapop » 10 Jul 2014, 12:15

YetiDave wrote:I'd be tempted to go with a tried and tested brand thermometer, River Country have a good reputation. In saying that though, that thing seems to have good reviews :) For the outer paint, just burning it out removed everything inside and out, you don't need a weed burner or anything, just a nice hot fire

Excellent - sounds easier.
Did you ever read this :o :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-19035426

Though I guess a if I open up any valves then give it a good wash internally, I'd be good to go re angle grinding.... :shock:

Did the burn out and then a test run (coals and wood) remove all of the remaining oil residue? That's my only concern really, but that's more from inexperience.

Many thanks!
somapop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby YetiDave » 10 Jul 2014, 12:18

Bloody hell! Well these barrels contained engine oil, which I can assure you is perfectly inert, otherwise there'll be a lot of exploding cars out there :lol: Yeah the burn out and seasoning run removed all of the oil
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby somapop » 15 Jul 2014, 10:58

Massive thanks to yetidave for supplying his spare oil drum (and quick demo)!

Planned on a smoking project next year, but the DIY option should allow me to start this summer.
I'll post up some pics of the project as and when, but might need a couple of tips...although yetidave's model is a perfect example.
Currently looking for a 22" kettle to adapt (found a couple of 2nd hand ones online but no word on their availability yet), otherwise I'll pick up a cheap new one.

Will probably use one 3/4" ball valve and three hex nipples (with caps). Adds a little to the cost, but I have a small battle with OCD to contend with (like things neat etc)!
Same with washing machine drum (again, a fair few online 2nd hand ones knocking around) but might take a trip to a local skip (not recycling plant as I found out at the weekend - they wouldn't entertain the idea).
Other bits and bobs I'll pick up over the next week or so (heat paint, stainless steel nuts and bolts, fire rope/seal etc).

Main worry is the burn out and the neighbours, but will speak with them beforehand (have a wooden pallet I can use).

I did try another smoke on my mini kettle at the weekend. Cannot get the snake method to work at all and with all vents open (top and bottom) it doesn't take long for the lump wood/briquettes to die down. In the end, I just left the lid very slightly open - higher temperature I guess, but I'll only smoke chicken on it from now on (or just use as grill).
Added the metal ring over the bottom vents and placed a 2nd grill at right angle to the charcoal grill to catch smaller bits of lump wood landing in the vents, but it gets fairly clogged up unfortunately.

In saying that, a 2-3 hour cherry smoke with a few chicken thighs was really good (skin not so good...but I guess that's another subject).

Cheers!
somapop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby YetiDave » 15 Jul 2014, 12:52

I'll be the first to admit that my UDS is far from the neatest and prettiest thing out there :lol:
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby somapop » 15 Jul 2014, 17:39

YetiDave wrote:I'll be the first to admit that my UDS is far from the neatest and prettiest thing out there :lol:

I disagree...a work of beauty mate!
Great smoker you've built there and if I get mine working half as well I'll be very pleased :)

Made contact with the local wood guys - thanks for the details. Looks like very good value.

Cheers.
somapop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice