Price for a UDS

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Price for a UDS

Postby somapop » 17 Jul 2014, 08:34

Copper pricy too!
I found some old central heating piping when I took our ceilings down. I left it in when it came time to put the ceilings back up, but now wished I'd cut some out.
Don't really want to use plastic pipes so unless I find some metal piping I'll just use 3 nipples and 1 ball valve (won't require elbows then). I can always adapt in the future.

Essentials after the valve/nipples will he fire paint, rope/sealant, the 2nd hand BBQ and the washing machine drum.

BTW - did anyone pick up one of those home base grills? Few reviews suggest they warp easily...

Cheers.
somapop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby gingerchris » 17 Jul 2014, 16:34

I got a couple of the homebase grills - they're not great. Very thin metal, no centre support but they do the job. Not sure I'd trust them with any heavy cuts.

Also maybe worth looking into for the pipe extension - I've seen a few people extend the ball valve handle up to a reachable height rather than adding more pipe. This might be a bit cheaper and would have no effect on the amount of air you can get in there.
gingerchris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby somapop » 17 Jul 2014, 16:55

I haven't seen that...and not having a ball valve 'in the flesh' I'm not quite sure how it would be extended up.
I might be picking up a ball valve tomorrow - tool station do them (full bore) for around the same price I can get them online so I'll take a look if I get one. I guess a thin metal pole can be used (which would be a fair bit cheaper).
At the moment I just plan on having three 3/4 inch hex nipples (with caps) and one 3/4 ball valve. Tool station do all of those items quite cheaply (brass caps are only 70p ish).

Btw - is brass good to re cooking/fumes? Understand the galvanised issues but assume brass is fine?

Popping to home base tonight as it happens so I'll have a look at the grills and anything else which might be of use (often have stuff in the sale there).

Many thanks.
somapop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 18 Jul 2014, 07:21

Mind the ball is steel in the valve. Some cheap valves use plastic balls.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 18 Jul 2014, 07:22

Not heard of the galvanised issues. What's the problem there?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby YetiDave » 18 Jul 2014, 08:23

Toxic fumes, apparently! I don't know much about it, but there's enough of the fear out there to make me steer clear. I'm not worries about the odd galvanized bolt, but I wouldn't use any galvanised for a diffuser, fire basket, etc etc..
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 18 Jul 2014, 10:01

Oh. From paint stuff or plated? Zinc is quite reactive in many situations so maybe acidic smoke fumes attack it or something. Interesting. Thanks. Anyone know more? Thank god I got stainless and mild.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby somapop » 18 Jul 2014, 11:28

Yeah...few terror tales around the toxic fumes (apparently quite sweet smelling before it gets up to no good with your lungs and brains!).
Looking at only stainless steel stuff now.
somapop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 19 Jul 2014, 09:57

Been looking on the net and seen conflicting advice. I think for the bit extra just stay away from it. S.S. will last years anyway and pay for itself in the long run. Get 316 if you can.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice