Price for a UDS

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Price for a UDS

Postby ruthiesbbq » 26 Jun 2014, 20:31

Hi is this still forsale, and where are you based. Thanks ruth
ruthiesbbq
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Goblin » 26 Jun 2014, 22:20

Hi Ruth,

I've PM you about it :D
Goblin
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby somapop » 16 Jul 2014, 10:09

Apologies for dragging this thread back up:

Definitely seems like a fair price to me considering the time and work going into making one.
Can I ask about the inlets you placed on the side of your drum? Was thinking of adding a ball valve and perhaps three hex nipples on my build, but given my back's mashed at the moment, I'm warming to the idea of having the inlets higher up the drum via piping (might be a silly question, but would that make any difference to the amount air/wind getting to the bottom of the drum?)

Just after size (3/4 inch?) and materials really.
Many thanks!
somapop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 16 Jul 2014, 12:54

aris wrote:I think for 150 you would need to include grates.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk ... 3cm-589541

Wow that's cheap. Might get one of those myself. Thanks for the link.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 16 Jul 2014, 12:57

somapop wrote:Apologies for dragging this thread back up:

Definitely seems like a fair price to me considering the time and work going into making one.
Can I ask about the inlets you placed on the side of your drum? Was thinking of adding a ball valve and perhaps three hex nipples on my build, but given my back's mashed at the moment, I'm warming to the idea of having the inlets higher up the drum via piping (might be a silly question, but would that make any difference to the amount air/wind getting to the bottom of the drum?)

Many thanks!

Hiya, no, it still works. It's a common thing to do if you can be bothered.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Goblin » 16 Jul 2014, 13:49

:shock:
somapop wrote:Apologies for dragging this thread back up:

Many thanks!

Hi, it currently has 3 piped inlets that are about waist height made out of 22mm (I think) pipe work and the front 2 pipes have ball valves on already, there are 2 additional holes near the base that are about 15mm in diameter as the pipes alone didn't allow enough airflow but with the new holes it works great.
Goblin
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby somapop » 16 Jul 2014, 17:26

^^ Why shocked!!

Cheers - I think I might go the 'up pipe' route, mainly because the ol back is utterly bombed at the moment...this will enable me to adjust temp without bending. Good point re requiring a few more holes along the bottom if using this method.

Did you sell this in the end by the way?

Cheers! :shock:
somapop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Goblin » 16 Jul 2014, 18:52

Ha, I have no idea about the :shock: , my bad.

Well if I was to redo one I would have 4 lots of 25mm or 28mm vertical pipes with removable cap ends on 3 of them and just 1 ball valve (2 valves looks far better but ultimately if you can cap of the others then you only need one).

I still have it, I haven't put much effort into trying to sell it as I was only toying with the idea so I could afford to build a second mor refined one.

:shock:
Goblin
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby somapop » 16 Jul 2014, 19:52

Cheers. I'll pop down my local building suppliers, or look online for some pipe prices (buy long piece and cut down).
I'm assuming you'd drill four holes near the bottom then use 'elbows' for the vertical pipes and attach them (whichever way you wish) to the drum. I'd imagine if you use stainless steel (or even copper) piping it would look pretty 'sick' as the kids say...

I suppose you could use hex nipples on the end of the non valved pipes (in order to use a screw cap), but a simple cap (I guess plastic would be fine here) pushed on would do the trick.
Hmmm...more food for thought.

I'll end up over planning, then never building the blinkin thing!

Cheers! :o :? :D
somapop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 17 Jul 2014, 07:19

Hi Somapop, lol, I over plan all the time. Stainless will look good but cost a fortune for what is essentially a tool. As you say nipples and elbows will do. As a thought you might need washer to get things tight using taper fit threads. I got parallel fits. Always go with simple in my book. More time cooking!
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

PreviousNext

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice