Thermometer positioning

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Thermometer positioning

Postby Coops14680 » 21 Jun 2014, 06:47

Hey everyone.

I have a 57 Weber One Touch the one with the silver plate as an ash catcher and no thermometer. I'm looking to. Install a thermometer on the lid as close to the grill as I can get to monitor the grill temp. My question is this. What side do I put the thermometer on? The vent side which will be furthest away from the coals? The coal side? Or between both of them? I'm thinking the vent side as I always put that the furthest away from the coals.

Thanks in advance for your replies
Coops14680
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Thermometer positioning

Postby PDC7 » 21 Jun 2014, 22:05

I have the same kettle but with lid thermometer, if the lid is enamel coated will drilling in the hole not knacker the lid?
PDC7
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JEC » 22 Jun 2014, 06:53

It can be done and yes it will damage the enamel and the warranty. Below is a link to the virtual weber bullet site, whilst for the WSM a lot of it is equally relevant to the one touch

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/installtherm.html

If you do decide to do it you may want to consider making the whiles large enough to get maverick probes through it, monitoring grate temperature is most accurate and it will allow you to monitor the meat too. You will need a steady hand, drill bits, suitable paint to make good any damage and a gland of some description to protect both the cable and the enamel around the hole. Personally I would do it, I'd just drop the maverick probes through the vent and do it that way. It any seem expensive but it's a good investment if your serious about good Q
JEC

Postby JEC » 22 Jun 2014, 06:54

Talking all things temperature monitoring wise this is a good read too on the vwb site

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/measuretemp.html
JEC

Postby Coops14680 » 22 Jun 2014, 13:57

Cheers for the reply JEC. That page has loads of information on. I'll have a look at temperature probes but trying to explain to the missis why I need them might take a while! It was hard enough trying to get the bbq ! :D
Coops14680
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby PDC7 » 23 Jun 2014, 11:38

If you have not already got your BBQ may I suggest you look at wowbbq.co.uk I got the one touch with a thermometer and utensils, coal dividers cover inc delivery for under £140
PDC7
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Goblin » 23 Jun 2014, 17:28

I have the same weber and faced the same problem, In the end I bought a pit thermometer (like the ones used in an UDS) and just sit in in one of the upper vent holes in the lid, it'll probably restrict the air flow for the very hottest of temps to be reached but it still allows it to get plenty hot enough for grilling. It works wonders and I can transfer it to one of my other BBQs easily. It's not a permanent thing but it's cheap, easy and requires no mods the the BBQ itself.
Goblin
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Coops14680 » 27 Jun 2014, 16:30

Cheers guys

Well I ended up buying a 2 inch smoker thermometer to use in the vents and see how I get on with that. Was hoping to get some cooking done tonight but time and weather are against me!!
Coops14680
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice