Temperature Probes for ProQ Frontier

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Temperature Probes for ProQ Frontier

Postby Jubbly » 21 Jun 2014, 01:43

Just purchased a ProQ Frontier and was wondering if anyone could suggest a temp probe that would be suitable..
I've noticed a few posts here about certain probes not fitting the ProQ eyelets so wanted to make sure i got something accurate that would work
Jubbly
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Temperature Probes for ProQ Frontier

Postby JEC » 22 Jun 2014, 07:04

I can't say what will fit but I know the holes need to be enlarged very slightly to get Maverick probes through them, not sure there is much choice around other than the Maverick though, some of the pit controllers will have smaller wires but then you're talking bigger money
JEC

Postby CHokKA » 23 Jun 2014, 16:05

Paul at MacsBBQ told me that he's heard that people file down the crimped part of the Maverick probe so that it'll fit through the probe hole. The probe goes in but gets stuck at this bit because it is wide. He did say to ensure that you file it down carefully. I'd rather risk damaging a £20 probe than the ProQ smoker.
CHokKA
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby andytraill » 29 Jun 2014, 20:45

The pit probe I think you could do that, but on mine the food probe is L shaped so pretty much no hope of getting it through the eyelet.

What I do is wrap the cable round the handle of the top (just so they stay in the right place) and drop them through the top vent. When I need to take the lid off I disconnect the probe.

The wire rack on the back of the Maverick can be clipped under the clips of the pro q pretty easy too I've found. It's still a bit fiddly but works ok.

EDIT: Also you can use a cable tidy on the handle to clip the wire into (I might put a photo up it's hard to explain).

EDIT 2:

I had the cable tidy thing lying about but it saved a bit of cable length instead of wrapping it round the handle (they are pretty short). So basically disconnect the cable from the Maverick and you can lift the lid no problem to have a look or pull the probes leaving the Maverick in place.
andytraill
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice