Which method and when?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Which method and when?

Postby PDC7 » 15 Jun 2014, 21:52

Gents, when should I choose the snake or minion method? Is each better for a different cook? Does each have pro's and cons? I'm basically saying what so you use? I've a 57cm weber kettle
PDC7
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Which method and when?

Postby RobinC » 15 Jun 2014, 22:22

The challenge with a kettle is keeping the temperature low, steady and with a long burn time. Out of the two methods I would favour snake in a kettle, my opinion is that it is better method for keeping the number of lit coals under control in a kettle. It's also very economical. Finished your cook, just break the snake so that it doesn't burn any more fuel. Minion also works but I've found it requires more fussing with the kettle to keep the temp down.
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby ConorD » 16 Jun 2014, 06:58

As with Robin, snake in a kettle if you want a low/slow and long burn as minion just requires too many coals to start (or is ridiculously fiddly to get 3/4 coals into the centre of a big load.
ConorD
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby derekmiller » 16 Jun 2014, 09:12

I use a snake for the kettle and minion for the bullet.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PDC7 » 16 Jun 2014, 09:46

Thanks guys, I was looking toward the snake method for my low and slow, I've some cheap lump wood I'm thinking of mixing up with heat beads (lump in two row and heat beads on top) just to use it up and I'm going to try my first smoke next weekend
PDC7
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice