Spare Rib Help

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Spare Rib Help

Postby mark70 » 01 Jun 2014, 08:07

Guys

I have a really good butcher and asked for two meaty racks of ribs which I collected yesterday. Despite discussing when ordered a rack he had on display and asking for a meatier version he cut the racks onto individual ribs. We were both disappointed as he is so proud of his meat

So I BBQd a few yesterday time pressure meant only 4 hours low and slow and they were just OK. Still a lot of fat and not fall off the bone tender although the meat was starting to pull back from the ends of the bone. Any suggestions on how to cook these massive spares to make them really tender. I suspect I need to go longer but any suggestions welcome

Whilst I was there was able to pick up a loverly leg of lamb and a bone in pork shoulder which I cannot wait to try.

Thanks

Mark
mark70
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Spare Rib Help

Postby JEC » 01 Jun 2014, 10:14

You will definitely need longer or to raise the temperature a bit if you want a shorter cook time. I would cook them in a pan, smoke for the first hour and then cover the pan with foil until meat is nearly done, then sauce and finish without foil and serve, using foil may bring the cook time down a bit too. Spares work quite well in the oven but in my experience not so well on the BBQ.
JEC

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice