I've gone over to the dark side.

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: I've gone over to the dark side.

Postby Steve » 10 Sep 2010, 07:47

Hey Chris,

I think Al's point comes from a position of already knowing a bit about BBQ. Fire control on a pellet cooker is pretty simple apart from when things go wrong.

But you're right, seasonings, spices, processes and knowing when meat is cooked just right is the main thing. Even in competition, these are the things that really matter. Pellets vs charcoal can be an interesting debate with avid fans on both sides. Some argue pellets take the fun out of it and are less involved, some can't understand how anyone would use charcoal after trying pellets :D

I'm really on the fence, there's pros and cons to both but my interest lies more in flavours and processes. I think pellets are great for consistency and you can't beat them in winter because you can spend less time at the cooker. There's no doubt you can turn out some great food with them too. I'm never likely to be pellet only but I can see me investing in a larger Traeger or a Fast Eddy at some point especially if I do a bit of catering in order to fund competition entries.

IMHO it's a matter of cook how you want on a cooker you like that gives the end product you enjoy. Whether it's a £20 UDS or a £3k FEC its about the cook not the cooker.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris__M » 10 Sep 2010, 08:23

Sure, I'm sympathetic to both points of view.

For some time, I have been in a similar kind of quandry with another minor pastime of mine - breadmaking. Foodie friends are surprised when they see a breadmaker in my kitchen. However, if I want to make good-tasting, consistent and hassle-free bread, it's the bees knees, particularly on a busy day. At the same time, the bread, while good, is never going to win any awards, and I still get the urge to make it by hand, when I have time (which is not very often!).

(Having said that, I should note that the machine is fully programmable, and I have spent quite a bit of time working out my own presets, rather than those that come with the machine.)
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby stickthekettleon » 10 Sep 2010, 12:24

It's going to be my winter toy

What about freezing yer ass of in the snow trying to light your chimney starter. You're no fun anymore ;)
stickthekettleon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 10 Sep 2010, 12:26

Plug and play baby!!! It's the future :lol:
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris__M » 10 Sep 2010, 19:03

Steve wrote:Plug and play baby!!! It's the future :lol:

Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 10 Sep 2010, 19:35

What be that strange grey operating system dialogue box you show. I know only of puters with shiny smooth aqua interfaces and a glowing apple on the case ;)
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 11 Sep 2010, 09:29

Don't worry Al, no one's geting all serious on you :lol:

I think the debate comes in when you put the likes of Chris and Toby together and then say "pellet poopers vs stick burners - discuss..." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby joker smoker » 11 Sep 2010, 15:57

Part of the joy of cooking BBQ for me is trying out different things....different cookers, different rubs, different temperatures...until I've tried everything I can't say which is the right way
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 11 Sep 2010, 20:44

Well I cooked 40 chicken drumsticks on the Traeger today. Started on smoke for a while then cranked it up to high and finished them off. Lovely end product for my first go with it. Cedar planked some salmon over charcoal at the same time and the getting the pellet cooker going was so easy. I like it already :D
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris__M » 12 Sep 2010, 00:42

DrSweetsmoke wrote:My reply was light hearted.

No worries - that's the way I took it.

I'm still very much at early stages on this, and so thinking things through (aloud, in this case). I was less arguing with you, than with myself.

As such, I am balancing the fun challenge of learning how to do it consistently over charcoal - which is what I have been doing so far, with fair to reasonable success; and the practicalities that most of my cookups are social affairs where the food is (sadly) largely a secondary affair - even though it is mightily appreciated.

So if I were cooking for a crowd of people whose primary interest was the art of BBQ, of controlling the fire and the smoke (which will be the case, on some occasions), I would still be persevering with the kettle, or perhaps looking at a stacker. But, because I am cooking mostly in situations where I am actually expected to be involved in stuff during the morning, then have to bring together food for people within a space of half-an-hour, I am either fast grilling on the kettle, or preparing something in a pellet pooper very first thing in the morning, before people arrive, and keeping an occasional eye on it, until I am ready to bring it together, shortly before the mealtime.

But getting back to my bread analogy, just because I have a breadmaker, it doesn't stop me making bread by hand when I feel like it and have time; similarly I suspect that no matter how good my pellet grill turns out to be, the charcoal grill is unlikely to grow many cobwebs - it's just too much fun.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

PreviousNext

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice