Newbie WSM Queries

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Newbie WSM Queries

Postby Twen » 06 May 2014, 11:21

Hi, I have been a massive Weber fan for some time and have a Genesis gas and Smokey Joe charcoal bbq which I use rain, sun or snow....

I am interested in possibly extending the family with a WSM as I have a big birthday coming.

I saw the new 37cm in the shop but looked to be too small for general use perhaps ideal for camping etc ?

I thought the 47cm might be better for 2 people going upto 6-8 depending on what can fit on it.

Can anyone provide any views on:

1. which the model to go for (I thought the 47cm)
2. WSM in general use compared to other Weber BBQ's
3. any experience with the smaller one...
4. Any general info on WSM cooking would be great in terms of what can be cooked etc, extras, fuel etc ?
5. Any good offers ?

Just want to make sure we purchase the right model and to ensure I get plenty of use out of it.

Any help would be great... :)

Thanks

Toby
Twen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Newbie WSM Queries

Postby Twen » 08 May 2014, 06:05

Anyone ?
Twen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby zzubnik » 08 May 2014, 08:58

I only have experience of the 47, but I chose that because American BBQ podcasts say it's the one to go for. It's large enough to feed a small group of people, and it's easier to maintain the correct temperature than the 57.

Have a look at the Weber virtual bullet website (http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/). It has loads of ideas and information about this specific model.
zzubnik
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby AlanL » 08 May 2014, 11:43

Hi Twen, I recently gone down the WSM route. Although I'm not cooking for many (2 generally) I still opted for the 47 over the 37 or 57. the 57 was just too big and the 37 had only just come out at the time and not enough reviews available.

So far I'm glad I went for the 47 as it allows me to fit reasonable size racks of ribs on there without cutting in half or folding.

Having the extra capacity allows me to cook a bit more than I need for a single meal and then freeze whats over.

As I get better with my smoking I'm hoping to be cooking for more.

As stated the virtual bullet has lots of specific WSM info but largely a US frequented site. Before starting I found lots of great hints and tips on here related to the WSM and with smoking generally. You may not have had a lot of response to your post as many of your questions have been asked already. I spent a couple of hours trawling through the old posts and found answers to many of my similar questions.

I have found the WSM great fun and added a new dimension to my BBQ. Results have always been good even if not competition quality.
AlanL
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Twen » 08 May 2014, 13:30

Many thanks for the info. Much appreciated sounds like the 47cm is the one to go for and apologies for all the questions.
Twen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Twen » 13 May 2014, 17:07

47cm ordered - check
Wood chunks - check
Charcoal ready - check

Planning my first smoking session with ribs this weekend can almost taste them :D
Twen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby ConorD » 13 May 2014, 19:47

You won't regret it. Bought mine two years ago and never looked back. They are so versatile. Get yourself a rib rack as well, using that more and more now.

also look at the BBQGuru or other forced air systems as they just mean night time cooks do not mean no sleep.
ConorD
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Twen » 13 May 2014, 20:02

Many thanks. Can you recommend a good rib rack to fit the 47cm WSM?
Twen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby ConorD » 13 May 2014, 20:24

Twen wrote:Many thanks. Can you recommend a good rib rack to fit the 47cm WSM?

I use one from Brinkman as it can be dismantled and machine washed.

ConorD
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Tiny » 13 May 2014, 20:55

NONSENSE !!! I have the worlds greatest rib rack and it was recommended on another thread but I fear most dismissed it.....it is ordered from ikea and described as an pot lid tidy, it is an scissoring arrangement that is made from stainless and the protruding tongues allow 6 full racks to be settled in and gently nestled vertically with no rub impingement, it is £4.99 and mocks the ability of any other rib rac to sexually satisfy its significant other irrespective of age race gender or sexual orientation, I have the worlds greatest rib rack, it cost less than a fiver and it is dishwaherable.....to whomever posted the ikea pot lid rib rack, Sir, take a bow you are an God......
Cheers Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice