Beginners Pork

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Beginners Pork

Postby Banjo » 02 Sep 2010, 19:32

lakemirror wrote:Warning, warning....don't stand within arm's length of her and say that! And don't let her 5'3" frame fool you, either, she can smack me upside the head from across the Atlantic! :D

See, you can take the girl out of the Blackcountry, but you can't take the Blackcountry out of the girl :D

They're all feisty....my wife is only 5' and she is pretty good on the head smacking thing! :D
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby lakemirror » 02 Sep 2010, 20:37

DrSweetsmoke wrote:
Swindon_Ed wrote:
Going onto your point about cider injections. I was driving through Somerset which is quite a famous cider region in the UK and saw an number producers selling old oak barrels and thinking this could be an interesting wood for smoking with.

what do you think?

Ed ya wanna grab a few barrels and go half on the cost with me?
Can you direct me to the places you found them?

Group buy!

Might be a little scarce at the start of the season, though, yes? My guess is that they'd be easier to find (and cheaper) after all the cider has been pressed and fermented and quaffed for the year. Still sounds like a great idea.
lakemirror
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Swindon_Ed » 03 Sep 2010, 15:29

I think i was driving between Glastonbury & Shepton Mallet when i saw it. I think they mainly sell the broken ones for plant pots.

I've been looking online and found this website (http://www.somersetmade.co.uk/oldscrump ... tation.php) which does have details on lots of local cider houses, so i'm going to go through this next week with the view of picking up a barrel or two next weekend.

This weekend i've managed to get some beef short ribs so i'll be busy with them.

DrSweetsmoke if you want to chip in your more than welcome.
Swindon_Ed

Previous

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice