How much wood chips to use when smoking

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

How much wood chips to use when smoking

Postby Irish BBQ » 22 Aug 2010, 19:00

Hi all

Had my first go at smoking yesterday on my Excel 20 and finished off with mixed results :? . I think i may have oversmoked the chicken pieces and wings as my better half informed me that she could not taste the chicken only the wood.

I have been checking a few sites and found that i should only use 2 ounces of wood for chicken, 4 ounces for ribs and 8 ounces for pork shoulder or beef brisket. Can anyone confirm if this about right. When i added the Hickory wood chips to the smoker i got a good deal of smoke initially but it only lasted for approx five-ten minutes before dieing off. I was under the impression the smoke would last longer which is why i was adding additional wood. Would appreciate if someone could clarify this for me.

Thanks

Karl
Irish BBQ
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: How much wood chips to use when smoking

Postby Swindon_Ed » 22 Aug 2010, 19:48

For Chicken bits i would normally use a handful of chips that i've soaked, but i'll wrap them loosely in foil with a few holes in to to let smoke out slowly and stop the chips burning away too quickly.
Swindon_Ed

Postby stickthekettleon » 22 Aug 2010, 23:18

You're gonna hate this.

It depends on what wood you use as to how much smoke you put in.

Have a look at the wood smoking guide Steve has posted on this forum, be aware however, it really does depend on the wood you're using as to how long you smoke...some woods are more potent than others.
Starting out I'd recomend a fruit wood such as apple or cherry. Hickory is lovely, but easy to over-use and 'smoke out' your food. Oak is much the same although it's highly regarded as the 'staple' wood for most meats.

If you're smoking thighs I'd recomend to put on your chicken, a hand full of chips and leave it at that. If you look in the guide you got with your BBQ it'll say that you only need a whisp of smoke to get flavour.
I'll stick my neck out on this and say that you only need about 10-15 mins worth if your doing chicken piecies.

To be honest it's experementation, but less really is more.

Good luck and keep us posted.
stickthekettleon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby stickthekettleon » 22 Aug 2010, 23:28

Oh, nearly forgot.
If you're smoking chicken don't forget to brush on a bit of BBQ sauce a few mins before you're ready to serve ( don't forget the undersides as most people will pick off the skin), this'll really complement the smoke. :D
stickthekettleon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby British BBQ Society » 23 Aug 2010, 07:40

stickthekettleon wrote:( don't forget the undersides as most people will pick off the skin),

Only in your household!!! the skins the best bit!!!!
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MadCow » 23 Aug 2010, 08:44

stickthekettleon wrote:
.... a hand full of chips and leave it at that ....

But does this also depend on what size your hands are ? :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, less really is more, so start with a couple of ounces (soaked usually gives a longer lasting smoke) and track what you do when you cook; you can then adjust accordingly in the next cook ... it's part of the joy of trial and error bbq'ing ... you get to learn so much more that way. :D
MadCow

Postby stickthekettleon » 23 Aug 2010, 14:39

Toby - Eugh, be thankful you've never seen my brother devour a chicken, :shock: I'll stick to the meat.
Jackie - I have delicate hands, helps me err on the side of caution (you just watch me go and oversmoke all my food at Rudgwick after saying that :lol: )
stickthekettleon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice