Help needed please..

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Help needed please..

Postby Khalsarule » 21 Aug 2010, 13:45

Hi Guys, haven't been on the site for a while. Love the new look by the way! Been a bit busy of late but also had a ongoing problem with my excel 20.

Despite trying a few different things I can't get it to get above the 140-160f mark...subsequently its not doing a great job of cooking. Its okay but fall's well short of my old rusting Brinkmann gourmet bullet smoker. Real shame because its such a magnificent bit of kit in every way. Really well built and thought out far superior in term's of build and material to the Brinkmann but the fact remains the Brinkmann does a far better job of cooking with virtually zero effort. There is a big temperature gauge on the Brinkmann without actual temperature figures just a basic cold, ideal and hot marking. It was always simple to get it to ideal and just leave it to do its thing and come back to perfectly cooked food.

I do prefer the greater involvement with the excel but try as I may just can't get it up to temperature. Tried with full loads of briquettes and full loads of this great stuff, huge blocks of charcoal http://www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com/ But no joy. Always use hot water in bowl. I have yet to try heat beads which I have run out of and need to re-order.

Any ideas guys? I know a lot of you get great results with your excels and I take no joy in posting that I am not happy with mine and am sure the fault lies with me rather than the unit...
Khalsarule
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Help needed please..

Postby stickthekettleon » 21 Aug 2010, 15:52

Hi, I have 2 excels and yes, they both have their foibles but I've never had a problem with temp.
A few things to try (forgive me if I state the obvious)
Make sure all bottom 3 vents are fully open.
Make sure there's no ash in the bottom under the fire basket.
Two full, small chimney starters will bring my excels to temp (200-250 with water in the pan).
Make sure your BBQ is positioned for plenty of air flow through, I used to cook on my balcony with the BBQ against the wall, there was so little air and breeze that my BBQ would underperform and the briquettes would go out.
Make sure the temp guage on the top of the excel is accurate, if its out they can be adjusted.
Give your excels a good 40mins - 1hr to settle/warm up.
once your food is on, put on the lid and leave it on, - if you're lookin', it ain't cookin'
I'll use both stackers even when I only need 1.
Make sure the vent on the lid is open too

Hope this helps
let us know how you get on.

Chris.
stickthekettleon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 22 Aug 2010, 00:42

I don't get it. I run two units that like to tick over at different temps, but I've never heard of one running so low.

If you have calibrated your thermometer so that you can be sure it is running at that temperature, you might be best served photographing your process and posting, maybe we can spot something wrong.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Khalsarule » 23 Aug 2010, 15:04

Thanks guys for all the replies. I do keep all the vents open and have used it in different places in the garden so I don't think air flow is an issue. I believe the temp gauge is near accurate(though not tested) because of the results ie. meat being cooked at too low a temperature. I do take meat out of the fridge onto the grill without bringing to room temperature but the unit won't get past the 180 mark even with nothing in it but the water..so I am wondering about the water. It is a really big water bowl in the excel and I have been looking around on the forums and come across the clay saucer method (sounds more like my tandoor:) So am thinking I should try this, seems to get over the low temperature issue for some. Seems strange that it can't get up to temperature. I usually use a extra stacker, do you think this may be a factor?
Khalsarule
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby stickthekettleon » 24 Aug 2010, 21:31

I don't get on with clay saucer method but some of the others swear by it, let us know how you get on, best of luck.
stickthekettleon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 24 Aug 2010, 21:39

I find the clay saucer method amazing, makes my vents almost digital they're so accurate. I can also get higher temps using clay. However I can hit 260 with water no problem.

I think we need to find out the root of your problem first.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stickthekettleon » 24 Aug 2010, 21:43

are you using 3 stackers?
stickthekettleon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Khalsarule » 25 Aug 2010, 12:12

Steve wrote:I find the clay saucer method amazing, makes my vents almost digital they're so accurate. I can also get higher temps using clay. However I can hit 260 with water no problem.

I think we need to find out the root of your problem first.

I think that is the best way to go (find the root of the problem) will try again this weekend and keep a detailed record of what goes on and post that here for you guy's to take a look at (please and thanks by the way!) may shed light on where I am going wrong.

Yes Chris I have been using three stackers, will try with two.

Dr SS, will try both suggestions, third of a pan boiling water and then the foil lined, which will make for a easier clean up to boot!

Not sure what the weather is going to do this weekend but barring torrential rain will try to get to the bottom of this :)
Khalsarule
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 27 Aug 2010, 00:49

If you have another thermometer, hang the probe through the top vent of the Excel and see what it reads compared with the built in thermometer. My guess is the thermometer is way off. The excel also has a significantly lower temperature at the top than at the bottom. This is particularly true if you are smoking on the bottom stacker but using 3 stackers.

I have never had problems getting up to temp with the Excel 20. I have used water only, sand only (1/2 pan full), and sand (1/3 pan) plus a small amount of water. But using only sand, I HAVE had a problem keeping temps down.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice