Minion Method - Lumpwood or Briquettes

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Minion Method - Lumpwood or Briquettes

Postby Irish BBQ » 20 Aug 2010, 11:05

Hi Again

Back with another newbie question :shock:

Would appreciate if someone could let me know whether i should be using lump or briquettes for the minion method. I have been reading alot of posts and have become slightly lost on which charcoal to use. Had an idea of using lit briquettes in the centre and unlit lump around the sides as i believe the lump can spark alot in the chimney. Is this a good or bad idea.

Is there also any difference between placing the lit coals directly on top of the unlit or is it better to place in the centre and let burn outwards.

Thanks for help again :D

Karl
Irish BBQ
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Minion Method - Lumpwood or Briquettes

Postby Steve » 20 Aug 2010, 11:09

I just use lump but there's no issue using lit briquettes.

Put a layer of lump in the basket then shake it to get every thing tightly packed. Put your lit fuel on top and you're away. Remember not to use too much lit fuel or you end up in reverse minion which is unstable.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby philnewts » 20 Aug 2010, 13:31

I get long bun times from the minion method, and as such have not really had to do a full refresh during a cook. Is there an efficient method for refuelling during a cook, so that the food is not left out of the heat too long.

Is it as simple as dumping a load of pre lit coals into the basket? Or would you start the minion over again...

Sorry if this appears a silly question.

Thanks
philnewts
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 20 Aug 2010, 13:54

I only ever need to refuel on long cooks in Winter. I tend to pop off the top section and add a chimney of lit. Maybe not the best way but it's always only for the very end of a cook when things are foiled so fire choking and dirty burning isn't an issue.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 27 Aug 2010, 00:42

On a long cook, when the temperature drops by about 20 F, I always just add unlit charcoal right onto the remaining lit coals. It usually doesn't take very long to get back to temp.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice