URGENT - Need to buy a bbq tonight!

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

URGENT - Need to buy a bbq tonight!

Postby Golden Wonder » 19 Aug 2010, 09:41

Forgive this newbie question. I have foolishly agreed to host a bbq paty on Saturday for 50 guests (only person with a decent sized garden amongst friends) and I have yet to purchase an actual bbq to grill on! I live in South London and a trawl of the usual shops have rendered me too late (apparently summer is over and it is now Christmas!). Does anyone know where I can buy a decent sized charcoal bbq for under £100 in South London or near regions. Would prefer a drum type bbq. Any ideas welcome - thank you!
Golden Wonder
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: URGENT - Need to buy a bbq tonight!

Postby MadCow » 19 Aug 2010, 10:38

I'd love to help, but your budget is a bit too low !! :D
MadCow

Postby Banjo » 19 Aug 2010, 11:08

Golden Wonder wrote:....I have yet to purchase an actual bbq to grill on!

Argos are showing stock on their charcoal grills, and our local Asda is still stocking them, as is Homebase. Not been in B&Q so can't say.

I would have thought that you would be able to pick one up easily enough.

Try and get one with a lid, then you can have a go at smoking ;)
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 19 Aug 2010, 12:03

If it's just for grilling on, nip out to the builders yard pick up 10 Breeze blocks, get some mesh and build one, it would be a novel solution and at 3 x 2 breeze you should have plenty of grilling space. Light your coals at one end and have an indirect area.

for 100 quid you should be able to pick up a 57cm Weber one touch silver http://www.garden4less.co.uk/weber-one- ... partner=fr
All Weather Griller

Postby Swindon_Ed » 19 Aug 2010, 12:30

I'd recomend the Weber, i know it's at the top of the price range but it'll last you 10 yrs plus. Mine i've had for 4 yrs but a guy i work with has had his since 1994 and it's still going strong.
Swindon_Ed

Postby lakemirror » 19 Aug 2010, 12:38

All Weather Griller wrote:If it's just for grilling on, nip out to the builders yard pick up 10 Breeze blocks, get some mesh and build one, it would be a novel solution and at 3 x 2 breeze you should have plenty of grilling space. Light your coals at one end and have an indirect area.

That's the best solution here, IMO. Good luck.

All Weather Griller wrote:for 100 quid you should be able to pick up a 57cm Weber one touch silver http://www.garden4less.co.uk/weber-one- ... partner=fr

Just looked on their web site, shows as "discontinued" now.

Golden Wonder wrote:Forgive this newbie question. I have foolishly agreed to host a bbq paty on Saturday for 50 guests (only person with a decent sized garden amongst friends) and I have yet to purchase an actual bbq to grill on! I live in South London and a trawl of the usual shops have rendered me too late (apparently summer is over and it is now Christmas!). Does anyone know where I can buy a decent sized charcoal bbq for under £100 in South London or near regions. Would prefer a drum type bbq. Any ideas welcome - thank you!

After this weekend is over, come back to the forum and learn lots from these friendly folks!
lakemirror
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 19 Aug 2010, 13:05

Well Spotted!!

Here is the new weber model £5 cheaper.

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/weber-one- ... l-57cm.asp
All Weather Griller

Postby Golden Wonder » 19 Aug 2010, 13:22

Thank you for your reply! What sort of budget would you suggest (sounds like I'll have to miss this month's mortgage payment! ;)
Golden Wonder
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Banjo » 19 Aug 2010, 13:40

Golden Wonder wrote:Thank you for your reply! What sort of budget would you suggest (sounds like I'll have to miss this month's mortgage payment! ;)

I would say that it depends on your level of experience.
It would be a bit rash to spend a lot on anything, if you don't have much idea on how to use it.

So, what have you been using up to now?
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 19 Aug 2010, 13:59

It's all dependent on what you need it for... if you want to just cater this one event then I would personally ask for the compromise, you have the garden and space so it's feasible and not unreasonable that you borrow a couple of BBQ's from friends that may be attending.

However, if you want to make continued use and have an investment in your al fresco dining then the Weber at just under a hundred will be money well spent. I'm not suggesting that the weber is only good for grilling but it is designed for that so if you are looking at low and slow as option, this won't be practical on the kettle grill.

If you want something to meet both low and slow and grilling needs then you'll be looking around the £250 mark and a Pro Q Excel to have capacity for 100+, for around 30-50 a Frontier should be fine.

All this said catering for a 100+ with a single kettle like the weber would still be challenging. What's the menu?
All Weather Griller

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice