First Smoke On New Excel 20 - A Few Small Questions

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

First Smoke On New Excel 20 - A Few Small Questions

Postby Irish BBQ » 16 Aug 2010, 22:40

Hi All

I just received my new Excel 20 (Very Excited :D ) and have it all set up. I understand i need to season the smoker first without any food. I have decided to try the minion method to see how the temperature works out for me over a number of hours. I bought a Pro Q smoker box and woodchips and am wondering if someone could kindly help me out with the below queries,

1- Do i need to soak the chips before putting them in the smoker box.
2- How many chips should i put in the smoker box.
3- Should i put the smoker box over the lit charcoals or unlit charcoals starting off.
4- Is it better to place the chips directly on the charcoils or is the smoker box benificial.
5- Would it be best to use sand or water in the pan.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Karl
Irish BBQ
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: First Smoke On New Excel 20 - A Few Small Questions

Postby stickthekettleon » 17 Aug 2010, 18:03

Hi,

Not to sure what you mean regarding your smoker box. I assume it's a little, metal, grill, er..'mouse maze'... thingy.
If it is, then you need to use wood dust and it's primerally for cold smoking (I might be wrong tho).
As for using wood chips, I would say it depends on what you're cooking.
If I'm doing a big cut of meat ie. ribs or brisket I'll forgo using chips and put in a block (about the size of a mobile phone) directly on the charcoal.
If I'm grilling then I'll arrange my cooker for indirect heat and lob a load of chips on the coals without soaking them.
To be honest, I'd recomend trying everything, eventually you'll discover what's best for you.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
stickthekettleon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 17 Aug 2010, 20:04

Hi Karl,

I can give you my two penneth for what it's worth.

1- Do i need to soak the chips before putting them in the smoker box.
A) I sometimes do but mostly don't, I tend to just throw them onto the coals without a smoker box.

2- How many chips should i put in the smoker box.
A) In response to my earlier answer... A good fistful does me, in fact when competing that is my measurement 1 fistful every half hour or so to begin with, then a fistful per hour about 3 hours in.

3- Should i put the smoker box over the lit charcoals or unlit charcoals starting off.
A) Ideally you want the smoke penetrating your meat right from the start, if you leave it too late then the meat will cease to take it. Depending the on the method you are using i.e. Minion you may find that it takes a while for the unlit coals to catch. My view would be to place your smoker box over your lit coals.

4- Is it better to place the chips directly on the charcoils or is the smoker box benificial.
A) I tend to avoid the smoker box these days and wack it straight on.

5- Would it be best to use sand or water in the pan.
A) Sand works, but can be messy, I would definately foil first. Water is good but can be an energy drain. I use a Clay Saucer.

Thanks for your advice in advance.
A) No worries buddy, if any of this is any use to you, you are more than welcome. I dare say many other like Chris above will share their findings too.

All the best

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby Irish BBQ » 18 Aug 2010, 10:27

Hi Again

Thanks very much for the advice as it is very much appreciated.

I think i will give the smoker box a miss and just throw a hand full of chips in every half hour - Adie, for how long should i put in a handful of chips every half hour. ( Hope that makes sense :? ) I dont want to oversmoke by putting in to many chips.

Im going out today to buy a clay saucer as if it works for the experts then thats good enough for me :D . Sorry another question - Should the saucer cover the entire base of the pan or be a little smaller.

Thanks once again in advance.

Karl
Irish BBQ
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby All Weather Griller » 18 Aug 2010, 10:54

Hi Karl,

My reckoning on the smoke is that the meat will only take it in for the first 2-3 hours so I tend to use Hickory or Apple chips. As this tends to be nice and subtle, if you go for Mesquite then you may need to be a little bit more measured in your approach. Oak and Pecan is also nice but again, more care is needed to ensure you don't over smoke. Another favourite of mine is Cherry.

I do give a fistful straight after saucing or mopping the meats as I have a theory that it might add a smokey flavour to the mop (It's only a theory I have no noticeable results positive or negative).

I do have some whisky barrel staves which I have been soaking and I think I am likely to be using some of these over the next few months.

Cheers

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby stickthekettleon » 18 Aug 2010, 22:15

Karl - I agree with Adie, have to say though, apple is my al time fave, mmmm
Adie - Where on earth do you get whiskey barrel staves (and what sort of whiskey)??
stickthekettleon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 19 Aug 2010, 08:09

stickthekettleon wrote:Where on earth do you get whiskey barrel staves (and what sort of whiskey)??

My wood supplier buys them by the truck load from the distilleries in Scotland so they are likely to be either single or blended malts, but I really don't think that even the best Whisky connoisseur would have the nose to tell the difference LOL.

I'm sure I recall Barry saying that the ones he has at the min are from Johnny Walker in East Kilbride.
All Weather Griller

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice