loads of people to feed but not much bbq space!

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

loads of people to feed but not much bbq space!

Postby Leviakhan » 06 Aug 2010, 06:32

Hi All,

Got a big BBQ next weekend, about 12-14 adults, now I'd like to have all the food ready at the same time so is it 'proper' to grill meat that takes a while (like steaks and burgers) and keep them warm in a oven while I do the short cooking time items such as kebab?

I've got a 47cm Weber so i can do it all at the same time...perhasp I should start saving for something bigger!

Regards

Dave
Leviakhan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: loads of people to feed but not much bbq space!

Postby British BBQ Society » 06 Aug 2010, 08:14

Hi Dave,

Rather than cook smaller items have you thought about cooking a couple of larger cuts, ie a leg of lamb and a rib of beef, if you set your coals on one side then have the meat on the other you can time it so the meat is ready at the same time. By offsetting the coals (and heat) you can close the lid and forget about it.
Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 06 Aug 2010, 08:18

Toby's suggestion is a good one. Cooking a joint of meat also gives a wow factor for your guests as they won't be expecting it.

If you are going to do grilled stuff though, there is no issue with keeping things warm in an oven, just put foil over the plates to keep the moisture in. If you've got a cool box, you can pre-warm it with a bowl of hot water then put plates of food in there and it'll keep them warm. We use Cambros at competitions which are essentially front loading cool boxes with shelves and I can keep things warm for hours.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris__M » 06 Aug 2010, 10:24

A novice's opinion. I have the larger Weber (57cm), but even so, have never worried about feeding everyone at the same time. I normally start off with a BBQ full of bangers, which is an easy way of getting something to everyone, first off; then I start on cooking burgers/steaks/chicken - things that take up more grill space. I find that folk don't mind waiting their turn, especially if there is salad and garlic bread and stuff about too - I've always considered it to be part of a normal BBQ, that people will come and grab stuff as it is ready. Folk tend to stand around, having a beer and chatting, and commenting on whether *that* piece of steak is ready yet - it's part of the fun.

Having said that, the other guys are right that a large piece of meat - cooked properly - is impressive. I have only done this in "practice runs" so far, but hope to do it properly with company soon - have a piece of meat cooking during the morning, so it is ready for lunch, and then while everyone descends on that, the grill is clear for doing additional burgers/steaks/chicken on demand.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Banjo » 06 Aug 2010, 11:22

+1 on the Joints.

For large numbers, I do a joint of Pork and joint of beef. I confess that where time has been short, I have part-cooked them in the oven and then finished them off on the grill :oops: . I do extra crackling as well, for those who want to 'have a taster'

Dishes of fried onions, stuffing and apple sauce and a tray of sliced baps, then just leave everyone to get on with it!
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chris__M » 06 Aug 2010, 14:12

Banjo wrote:I confess that where time has been short, I have part-cooked them in the oven and then finished them off on the grill :oops:

The other day I had bought another joint of pork to practice my BBQ skills on and it was tipping outside on the day I was planning to cook it. I knew I wouldn't have time during the week to cook it, so I ended up preparing it as if it was going on the BBQ, but oven cooked it instead, giving it 30 minutes at mark 7, then several hours at mark 1/2. As it happens, it was the first time I achieved a proper "pulled pork" texture, so at least I know now what to aim for!

Banjo wrote:Dishes of fried onions, stuffing and apple sauce and a tray of sliced baps, then just leave everyone to get on with it!

Time for my :oops: admission - I find canned "Eazy Fried Onions" one of the best "Delia cheats" I have come across. I simply drain them of most of their oil, pour into an old balti dish, and stand on the grill to warm.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Leviakhan » 06 Aug 2010, 14:51

Awesome suggestions guys!

Will pop to Tescos now and see if I can get something to practice with so I cna 'wow' my guests!

Dave
Leviakhan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice