wood prep?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: wood prep?

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 22 Oct 2014, 21:03

newbie wrote:now, how do i prep it in readiness to go on the grill? i'm thinking of removing the bark, cutting it into 2"-3" chunks, then just leaving it in the shed to dry out over winter?

I would say you want to season for a year at least to get moisture content down otherwise may create too much smoke. I may of course be barking up the wrong tree.....I'll get my coat....
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby YetiDave » 23 Oct 2014, 08:02

I found 6 months was sufficient for some 30cm or so diameter logs
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Toby » 23 Oct 2014, 09:14

Chop it up and leave it in the garage, I have been using the apple that i cut down a few months ago and its fine. Alot of people like to use green fruit wood in the states and believe it adds to the flavour however i always like mine a little dry. Bark or not to bark doesnt matter too much, wood that you would generally use for smoking has a thin layer of bark and isnt going to affect the flavour too much.

If people complain its acrid just cut back on the amount of wood you use next time. in a wsm i will use 6 golf ball size chunks scattered around, for the ole hickory i will use a single log.

Simple always works best!
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice