need some brisket advice

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

need some brisket advice

Postby ozza » 31 Jul 2010, 18:49

Just me and the missus around at the moment, fancy giving one a go as ive never done it, however everything ive seen about it is a huge cut of meat.

Can it be done well on a smaller cut, if so what do I want to be asking my butcher for?

Ta
ozza
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: need some brisket advice

Postby Banjo » 31 Jul 2010, 19:12

I ccoked a brisket last week for just me and my wife. It was a small joint about 3lbs in weight bought from Morrisons.

It was boned and rolled, so I cut the strings and opened it out, gave it a rub and left it overnight.

Cooked it the next day for 5 hours at around 260 (cant control the temp very well on my ECB, so it cooks at whatever temp it feels like!) and it was delicious.

Being a newbie, I probably went about it all wrong....but I have to say it was really very nice. My wife preferred it to the pork I cooked at the same time.

And there was some left to have cold on sandwiches the next day :D
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: need some brisket advice

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 31 Jul 2010, 19:18

Ozza,

If you want a smaller piec of brisket, ask for either the point or the flat. The flat is usually sliced and the point is great pulled with burnt ends. If you look at a whole brisket, you will see where there is a layer of fat separating the point and flat. The point is the thicker part.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice