Bourbon in sauce

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Bourbon in sauce

Postby esselle » 15 Jul 2010, 11:08

Has anyone ever used Tesco's own brand (cheaper) Bourbon in their sauce recipe? If so what was it like? I am tight and don't want to spend a fortune on JD or JB. :shock:
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Bourbon in sauce

Postby All Weather Griller » 15 Jul 2010, 11:51

I have only ever used JD, but I know where you're coming from.

I would give it a whirl for comparisons sake! then if it goes tits up, drink the cheap stuff, take some asprin and put it down to experience. LOL
All Weather Griller

Postby MadCow » 28 Jul 2010, 08:41

Be careful ... once you burn off the alcohol all that is left is the bourbon flavour and if it's wrong then it's gonna ruin your sauce ... however I would try it anyway you might be able to rectify any flavour loss by adding something else.
MadCow

Postby Steve » 28 Jul 2010, 15:11

It depends on the quantity of the booze in your sauce. If it's a predominant flavour then stick with good whiskey. If it just adds a little accent in the flavour you'll get away with it.

My current favorite BBQ sauce recipe includes a nice glug of Jack, but last time I made it up I had run out of Jack and the only whickey I had to hand was Bushmills, used the same quantity and there was only the slightest of detectable difference despite the two whiskeys tasting wildly different.

To be honest cheap Tesco Bourbon isn't that bad anyway. I don't rate standard Jack Daniel's it's just got the branding, their Gentleman Jack is another matter mind you. However if you were ever caught putting Gentleman Jack in BBQ sauce I think there's a few on here who'd hunt you down and kill you :lol:
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MadCow » 28 Jul 2010, 17:30

hmmmm .... that would be me I think !!! :lol:
MadCow

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice