Educating my butcher

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Educating my butcher

Postby esselle » 08 Jul 2010, 14:21

Help please,
Whenever I order pork shoulder or brisket from my butcher it never looks the way it should. This hit home on the may comp. So I am armed with photos of how they should look, but how did you all educate your butchers? Or should I find another butcher? Thanks in advance.
Scott.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Educating my butcher

Postby All Weather Griller » 08 Jul 2010, 17:12

Hi Scott,

I spent ages finding a good butcher that could do Pork Shoulders. Eventually and to this day the best Pork Shoulder butcher I have is a pig farmer in Scarborough (Trotters). I too took photos, video (Youtube) and stood over him whilst he cut one for me.

He went on to do some digging and to his credit he phoned a butcher in the states to get the cut right (As they do them in the Vac Packs from wholesalers). Anyway, I have subsequently bought the pork butts from him, but have even taken one he did me to my local butchers to see if they can do it. They have done one but they're still not the same as the ones I get from Trotters so I buy 3 or 4 at a time when I am near by.

My butts typically cost me around £15 for 4+ kg with the blade bone in.

If you're interested I can probably sort you one out to try. If you can it pays to keep it local so I would suggest persevering a little longer with your butcher.

Beerz
All Weather Griller

Postby esselle » 08 Jul 2010, 18:19

Hi Adie
That would be great. I could come and pick one up from you any time. Then I could take it to my butcher and show them. Thanks again.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby All Weather Griller » 08 Jul 2010, 18:26

No worries, I'll get one sorted out, I used my last ones on the practice last weekend but should be getting some next week in prep for the comp. I'll pick an extra one up.
All Weather Griller

Postby esselle » 08 Jul 2010, 18:39

Yet again you are a star thank you sir
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice