Experience of BBQ smoking for the first time.

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Experience of BBQ smoking for the first time.

Postby All Weather Griller » 22 Jun 2010, 21:15

Ahh fondly known in my circles as the "weber boot"
All Weather Griller

Postby philnewts » 22 Jun 2010, 21:27

2 Questions

With the minion method do you prefer to dump lit into unlit or do you like to have a circle of unlit with the lit charcoal in the centre?

Second question - if leaving it to do its thing how much charcoal will be enough. On the Pro Q is it best to fill the basket with unlit or half fill it?

Hope this makes sense :roll:
philnewts
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 25 Jun 2010, 23:57

The Minion Method is a technique for mixing lit and unlit charcoal to achieve longer burn times. It has been popularised by WSM users in the US. If you google it you'll find the original description of the method.

A quick 101 for you. Bear in mind this is just my method and others will do it slightly differently, I'm happy with my technique but others may do it better than me.

NOTE: I only ever use lump wood charcoal for unlit fuel. I've never found briquettes that don't give off a little whiff when they light. I just don't trust them for this method. Plenty of people do use them for MM though.

1. I place my wood chunks in my charcoal basket. I position them so they'll be near vents.

2. I place a layer of unlit charcoal around the wood. I try to use big chunks in the centre and fill gaps with smaller chunks as well as some around the edges.

3. Next I bang the basket on the ground a few times so everything settles into position and then I add more charcoal if required to fill the gaps. I'm looking to get a nice tight fill.

4. I light four to six fist sized lumps of charcoal in a chimney then place them on top of my unlit charcoal, give the fire a few minutes to take then close up the cooker and watch for it getting to temperature.

5. I try to dial the vents in as the temps are on the rise, but I aim for a little higher than my cooking temperature as when the meat goes on it drops the temps a bit.

And that's it really. Other thing worth noting is not to use too much lit charcoal or your fire will not run well.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice