how good are coco briquettes?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

how good are coco briquettes?

Postby such » 24 May 2010, 16:16

Can these coco briquettes be used for long and slow cooking? How long do they last?
Can I add them unlit to top up without them giving off smoke / odour?

I have always used heat beads and found these good - what's wrong using these minion style - I read somewhere to avoid this.

Best place for coco briquettes?

Thanks
such
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: how good are coco briquettes?

Postby All Weather Griller » 24 May 2010, 17:41

Hi Such,

There is quite a lengthy discussion on this forum somewhere about the minion method and just the discussion in itself can get a little heated. I'll give you my take on it. I tend to avoid the minion method with anything that may contain binders, this is not a hard and fast rule there are lots of people in the US and here that have a good success rate with the minion method.

I personally tend to do it with my fuel of choice (Restaurant Grade Lump). On the coconut briquette front, I have used these extensively and find they burn consistent, hot and leave very little ash. Personally i think they are good, there are a couple of types but the main ones in the UK are distributed by CPL and can be found on most forecourts (Although that may just be in my area).

I think to be frank I would read the advice on this forum, take a view and then try yourself and see what you think. If you are competing at the weekend and you are asking in advance I would have to say avoid it for the competition so you can satisfy yourself at a later date that you are happy to do it.

Some considered it a sin, others consider it a must.

I would keep an eye on this topic, it may get a little attention.
:lol:

All the best Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby such » 24 May 2010, 19:02

thanks Adie

I'll try a bag of coco during the week, if I can get hold of some down in kent.
I have a kettle i need to season so I'll use that. :)
such
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 24 May 2010, 20:58

Adie is bang on in my opinion.

I don't use any unlit briquettes for MM not even Heat Beads.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JEC » 29 May 2010, 05:30

Hello

I've used the CPL Cocoshell briquettes too with good success, much more I may say than any other brand of readily available charcoal based briquettes, they burn hot and long and as already said above with minimum ash, in fact when you compare them to heat beads by cost and you can safely add them to your fire whilst performing a long cook in my book they win everytime, but that's just my opinion!

If you can't find them easily in your local area just go to CPL's website, google it and they will deliver them to your door for around £6 per bag but you will need to satisfy the minimum order value, not a problem for me as I make it up with house coal, of course other brands of cocoshell briquettes are available

If it's a short cook, ribs, chicken etc.... I normally go for locally sourced restaurant grade charcoal.

Happy testing, one of the best bits about OCD BBQ

Justin
JEC

Postby such » 29 May 2010, 07:22

thanks Justin,

I have yet to get a bag! will try to source a bag today from somewhere. went to cpl website but could not fulfill min order.
such
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JEC » 02 Jun 2010, 17:56

such wrote:thanks Justin,

I have yet to get a bag! will try to source a bag today from somewhere. went to cpl website but could not fulfill min order.

Spoke to my local CPL delivery driver today and he makes regular deliveries to Tesco/Sainsbury's/BP/Esso garages and they are all supposed to stock the full range of CPL products so shouldn't be too hard to track some down, certainly worth a drive or a phone call!!
JEC

Postby such » 02 Jun 2010, 20:29

I managed to grab a couple of bags from a BP station nearby.
I must say, I have been using them for shorter cooking periods, but have found them to burn for longer than I expected. I will be using these from now on, reserving my heat beads for long cooks.

I'll stock up on these at the end of summer!

Thanks for your feedback!
such
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JEC » 04 Jun 2010, 05:42

No problem, glad you found some. Out of curiosity what price did you pay for them? I get them for £5.99 a bag direct but have seen them for £8 when out and about
JEC

Postby such » 13 Jun 2010, 14:59

£5.99 per bag from BP service station
such
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice