Beef Rib Roast

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Beef Rib Roast

Postby Shaky » 19 May 2010, 09:31

Hey guys,

Its a lovely day and I have a lovely rib roast to match from a local farmer/butcher. I am looking to give it the low'n'slow treatment on the excel this afternoon but just need a little advice on temperature...

Any suggestions on optimum temparature to get it nice and tender would be appreciated.

Also I was thinking I would use just a bit of oak to smoke, you guys think that would be okay?.

Thanks in advance for the help :D. (If any :P)

Shaky.
Shaky
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Beef Rib Roast

Postby joker smoker » 19 May 2010, 10:17

i normally cook rib roasts at 275-300 f to an internal temp of 135-140 with a simple dalmatian or montreal rub. oak is fine.
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Shaky » 19 May 2010, 10:25

Great..thanks for the advice :)

... another quick question...What kind of cooking time do you usually allow?

Cheers.
Shaky
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby joker smoker » 19 May 2010, 10:59

like most BBQ its done when its done....the internal temps ive given are for a little over rare but you should also allow a good 40 mins resting after removing from your cooker....as the rib joint contains a fair ammount of fat you may wish to cook longer or raise the temp for the last 1/2 hour to crisp the fat....i reckon youre looking at 40-50 mins per lb. but use a thermometer rather than a timer to judge your cook
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice