Pro Q Excel

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Pro Q Excel

Postby Das Raucher » 21 Oct 2009, 16:58

Hello,

My name is Alf, I am new to England and to Smoking. I was relocated to UK about 4 months ago with work which has served two main purposes. My wife is english and we have managed to get close to her family and I got a promotion out of the deal.

I have been looking around for smokers to hot smoke and if possible adapt to cold smoke (Home smoked kipper is my favourite). Anyway, I have managed to narrow down my choice to either a Weber Smokey Mountain, Pro Q Excel or a Brinkman.

I'm wondering if someone can advise me, I have seen on Ebay the listings for BBBQS Pro Q Excel both here and in the US, and have enquired with retail stores. There is a big price difference between all three and wondered if anyone knew why this is. Is the BBQ Society also Pro Q, or do they sell for Pro Q? What is the link, there seems to be conflicting information in the different websites.

Also is there a risk that I could buy a replica (fake) smoker and what I can do to avoid this. The Webers are very expensive and I don't think the Brinkman will meet my needs.

I look forward to hearing from someone, this is my first time on a forum and I'm not sure what to expect. There are two of us that are looking to use these devices, I note that you are a competition site, it is doubtful I would compete but it looks like very good fun. I'm just not sure what to buy and where to buy it from.

Tschüss Alf
Das Raucher
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Pro Q Excel

Postby All Weather Griller » 21 Oct 2009, 17:05

Welcome Alf,

The smokers that you have mentioned are very similiar in nature, I have had a number of Excels and have a couple of WSM's. My main problem with the Excel is keeping hold of them. The two I have had have been pinched by friends. They are very good and as you say much cheaper than the Weber variant.

I have no experience of Brinkman, although I hear the water pan fits inside a 47cm WSM. I think Toby from BBBQS would be best to answer your questions on the relationships between BBBQS and the UK markets.

You should be able to get lots of advice from the guys n gals on this forum. There is a wealth of experience and we have the added bonus of some circuit judges being forum members so tips are hot and well worth knowing.

See you around

Adie 8-)
All Weather Griller

Postby British BBQ Society » 21 Oct 2009, 17:15

Hi Alf,

Firstly welcome to the forum. Pro Q USA ceased trading earlier in the year and the stock was taken by the landlord to cover back rent. The stock was sold via public auction in Mesa Arizona, hence the ebay listings in the US all being in that region. The stock sold was all brand new in the upgraded packaging which included the new braced legs and a free hat (Excels).

I was told about the auction by a representative of ProQ in the UK and went to the auction and purchased close to 1,000 units including Amigos, Forntiers, Excels, Excel Stackers, covers and shipped them back to the UK.

I have supplied Pro BBQ and certain retailers with Excels and Frontiers and gave them free units to cover any future warranty issues. Due to the slow sales within the channel i made the decision to sell the BBQ's directly, the misleading information being supplied by ProQ is unfortunately sour grapes because i have decided to cut them out of the loop.

I offer the same warranty as Pro Q, bear in mind the excels sold via Pro BBQ and the authorised channel are all supported by me. I hope that clarifies the situation, if you do have further questions please feel free to ask.

Reference reccomendation I will leave that to other members, I will always try to remain neutral.

Regards

Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Das Raucher » 21 Oct 2009, 17:33

Thanks Toby and All Weather Griller,

Is it safe to assume then these units are all genuine and that any issues are purely administrative?

Also if anyone else can advise on which units they use it would greatly help us.

Tschüss Alf
Das Raucher
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby British BBQ Society » 21 Oct 2009, 17:41

Hi Alf,

That sums it up perfectly, they are 100% genuine, the problems are all political.

Regards

Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Spice » 21 Oct 2009, 18:19

I don't care for the Brinkmans ( Not very effective in holding temps ) I do, however think that the WSM is a very good cooker. The new 24" will hold alot of meat and the unit holds temps very well.
Spice
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 21 Oct 2009, 18:39

Hi Alf,

My teammate Neil has a ProQ Excel that he bought directly from the BBBQS. I can assure you that it is genuine, you'll also find that a couple of others on this forum have units from Toby, they're all the real-deal and he is providing full warranty support.

If you look at All Weather Griller's post in Get Yer Q Out you'll see a picture of mine and Neil's stackers combined into one unit and it's clear they're all exactly the same.

On the competition side, you'll always be welcome if you want it give it a go, it's great fun!!

And please feel free to use the forum to pick up tips and tricks, we're not just about competition we all love good BBQ!

Cheers

Steve
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Das Raucher » 22 Oct 2009, 19:58

Thank you for your advice, I really welcome your expertise and I'm surprised at the speedy responses. I think I assumed forums were very slow in responding. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge in the members here and I'm certain that we will be asking many more questions in the near future.

Tschüss Alf
Das Raucher
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice