Buying advice Gas BBQ around £300

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Buying advice Gas BBQ around £300

Postby Karky » 31 Jul 2012, 14:17

Hi Guys

I'm about to buy my first gas BBQ after finally moving to a house with a big enough garden!

I've decided to start with a gas bbq as I am after something that is fairly easy to run and maintain, and provides constant heat for a beginner.

I've given myself a budget of around £300 and just wanted some advice on which BBQ I should go for.

A side burner would be nice but is not essential.

Here are the options I have found thus far:

Weber Spirit E310. Generally I have not seen one of these under £400. Having searched around I have found that B&Q have them on offer at £299.
http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/outdoor-l ... 0-12077598

I was going to buy this BBQ as even a novice like myself recognises Weber as a major player with BBQ's.

I then stumbled upon BBQ world who have an extra 20% off Beefeater, Swill Grill, and Grand Hall BBq's.

Now I do not recognise any of these brands, but from reading the specs I was drawn to a Beefeater 900 Deluxe 4 Burner. They are listed at £389.99 but with the 20% discount comes in at £311.
http://www.bbqworld.co.uk/bbqworld/prod ... name=16842

Now from reading the specs the beefeater seems hands down better. It has 4 burners as opposed to the 3 on the Weber, and has a side burner which the Weber does not.

I'm just looking for people's opinions on these BBQ's, and any others that are on BBQ World's offer. Are Weber BBQ's worth the extra buck in terms of build quality and functionality, or is the Beefeater good value for the money with similar performance to the Weber? Is there a better option out there for me?
http://www.bbqworld.co.uk/bbqworld/bbq- ... f=&ss=&ty=

Any tips and advice would be hugely appreciated.
Karky
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Buying advice Gas BBQ around £300

Postby aris » 31 Jul 2012, 17:06

Get the best stainless steel BBQ you can afford. That includes the burners. I've been through countess bbq's and in the british climate they become rusticles within a coupe of years - even if you cover them.

I bought a SS grill from Costco about 7 years ago - I leave it in the rain uncovered - still looks like new. Just replaced the SS burners (they degrade fom e heat, but they lasted 7 years) - cost me £40 delivered on eBay.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby fleagle » 31 Jul 2012, 17:33

I had an outback hunter for 12 years and still going although it's showing it's age butt parts are easy to get hold of to upgrade.
fleagle
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 31 Jul 2012, 17:44

I have used the outbacks at friends places, and they are nice. I think they do SS ones?
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Tiny » 31 Jul 2012, 19:18

Outback hunter 4yo and still going nicely, but if you buy the Weber it will not let you down.

I think side burners are like wheels on a tomato you can but why bother? and do you need 4 burners?
cheers tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 31 Jul 2012, 21:30

Side burners do have their uses. I sometimes like to cook breakfast on the BBQ , but eggs not work well on the grills :-)

Also when I need to pan fry fish, I do it outside - keeps the kitchen smelling fresh.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 01 Aug 2012, 05:23

aris wrote:Side burners do have their uses. I sometimes like to cook breakfast on the BBQ , but eggs not work well on the grills :-)

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Get yourself a good quality four hole yourkshire pudding tray, the proper flat kind, not a muffin tin, add your chosen oil/dripping heat on the grill, add eggs, close lid and no need to baste them they come out "sunnyside up" :D :D :D
keith157

Postby Clayfish » 02 Aug 2012, 14:39

I've got a ten year old wooden Outback, still in tip top condition but it has been kept in a shed when not in use.

aris wrote:Side burners do have their uses. I sometimes like to cook breakfast on the BBQ , but eggs not work well on the grills :-)

Put them on a griddle or use a cast iron pan, if you're worried about the eggs running everywhere on the griddle, cut (or bite) out the centre of a slice of bread and crack the eggs in there, that's your toast taken care of as well! :D
Clayfish
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 02 Aug 2012, 14:53

Even with a pan or griddle - you don't get direct head (i.e. gas right on the pan/griddle) - side burner works for me :-) Especially for frying fish.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby OUTBACKMAN » 21 Jul 2015, 09:03

Karky wrote:Hi Guys

I'm about to buy my first gas BBQ after finally moving to a house with a big enough garden!

I've decided to start with a gas bbq as I am after something that is fairly easy to run and maintain, and provides constant heat for a beginner.

I've given myself a budget of around £300 and just wanted some advice on which BBQ I should go for.

A side burner would be nice but is not essential.

Here are the options I have found thus far:

Weber Spirit E310. Generally I have not seen one of these under £400. Having searched around I have found that B&Q have them on offer at £299.
http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/outdoor-l ... 0-12077598

I was going to buy this BBQ as even a novice like myself recognises Weber as a major player with BBQ's.

I then stumbled upon BBQ world who have an extra 20% off Beefeater, Swill Grill, and Grand Hall BBq's.

Now I do not recognise any of these brands, but from reading the specs I was drawn to a Beefeater 900 Deluxe 4 Burner. They are listed at £389.99 but with the 20% discount comes in at £311.
http://www.bbqworld.co.uk/bbqworld/prod ... name=16842

Now from reading the specs the beefeater seems hands down better. It has 4 burners as opposed to the 3 on the Weber, and has a side burner which the Weber does not.

I'm just looking for people's opinions on these BBQ's, and any others that are on BBQ World's offer. Are Weber BBQ's worth the extra buck in terms of build quality and functionality, or is the Beefeater good value for the money with similar performance to the Weber? Is there a better option out there for me?
http://www.bbqworld.co.uk/bbqworld/bbq- ... f=&ss=&ty=

Any tips and advice would be hugely appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Karky,
Some three years on what gas BBQ did you go for in the end and how is it performing.
I myself now how you felt at the time I have just in past week got a new gas BBQ a six
burner Outback I went for a gas BBQ for ease of use factor . Did not know anything about
them had been looking a Broil-master Six burner.
OUTBACKMAN
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice