Home grown wood for barbq

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Home grown wood for barbq

Postby fordius » 01 May 2010, 10:01

I had a small fig plant growing in a tub which fruited well until a couple of years ago and I was advised to ditch it and get another one which I did.

I kept the small amount of wood from this shrub which has been in my top shed now for some months, I also now have to remove two small oak trees from my garden. Much as I hate to see trees destroyed my garden is too small for an oak, it's a long story as to why they are there, which I will not bore you with.

Question is if I want to use the wood from these small oaks can I just burn it as it is, green, on a charcoal bbq, or do I need to let it dry out for a few months?

Can I cut some of it up into small chippings to use in a smoker box on my gas bbq?

Same question re the pieces of fig I have?

I also had to prune a wild cherry tree in my garden, not sure if it is Prunus Padus or Prunus Avium.
It fruits with very small bitter cherries, the birds have them long before they ripen, so I would think, in theory I can use them, my thinking is to use them with something inexpensive so if the end product is not eadible I have not lost too much and gained some knowledge, they too have ben kept in the shed so are quite dry
fordius
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Home grown wood for barbq

Postby British Bulldog BBQ » 01 May 2010, 10:50

Hi, there will of course be differing opinion but the oak I would dry out first, English Oak can be slightly bitter in flavour so use sparingly when cooking. Ref fruit trees, they can be used when green, the sap is normally sweeter which will give a different spoke flavour. I would love to know how the Fig tastes. I was chatting to a friend the other day who mentioned the advantages of cooking over grape vine, if you hear of any grab it and let it dry for a while, apparently it burns for a long time and gives a great flavour.
Cheers
Toby
British Bulldog BBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Home grown wood for barbq

Postby Steve » 01 May 2010, 14:29

Toby's got you covered there.

Some top Pit Masters in the US use green fruit wood and I've tried green apple with good results.

The oak is definitely one to let season though.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice